What would you like to do?

Can a girl claim her boyfriend's 3-year-old son on her tax return if he was living with them for more than 6 months out of the year and neither the father or the mother worked this year so they can't?

already exists.

Would you like to merge this question into it?

already exists as an alternate of this question.

Would you like to make it the primary and merge this question into it?

exists and is an alternate of .

yes you can but if either one of them get a job and the next year want to claim their son one of you all is going to either go to jail or pay back some taxes so you should just leave it alone because unless they know that your going to do that its not a good idea Answer Would it be alright if both of the parents agreed to it since they knew they couldn't claim him themselves? Answer Sorry to dispute the info above - but: UNDER US TAX RULES, (which 99.9% of these Qs are about).
It must be a qualifying child. The tests below must be met. From the way you phrased the Q, I don't think you will qualify. The dependent child exeption is one of the easier ones for the IRS to confirm, even automatically. However, from what you said, you should check into filing as "head of household". Qualifying Child There are five tests that must be met for a child to be your qualifying child. The five tests are: 1. Relationship, 2. Age, 3. Residency, 4. Support, and 5. Special test for qualifying child of more than one person. Relationship Test To meet this test, a child must be: Your son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, or a descendant (for example, your grandchild) of any of them, or Your brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant (for example, your niece or nephew) of any of them. Adopted child. An adopted child is always treated as your own child. The term �adopted child� includes a child who was lawfully placed with you for legal adoption. Eligible foster child. An eligible foster child is an individual who is placed with you by an authorized placement agency or by judgment, decree, or other order of any court of competent jurisdiction. Answer The correct answer depends on where you live. In Australia a dependent is someone whom is dependent on you and if you are housing, feeding, clothing your spouse's (spouse is used for defacto relationships and married couples) son then he is your dependent. What are you claiming for the dependent? If it is just to put on your tax return to lessen your tax then yes you have one dependent. If it is for family tax benefits then the percentage of the time you and your spouse care for the boy can be claimed by you or your spouse, and the other percentage by the mother - not working doesnt affect this.
Thanks for the feedback!

Can you claim your 38 year old son on your taxes?

Yes but. Only if you and your 38 year old son meet all of the rules for your son to be your qualifying child or qualifying relative dependent on your 1040 income tax return. Y

Three years back the age of a father was 24 years more than his son At present the father is 5 times as old as the son How old will the son be three years from now?

from the question we have currently:  f-3 = 24+s-3 and f = 5s   substituting f for 5s   5s-3 = 24+s-3  add 3 to each side  5s = 24+s   subtract 1 s from ea

Spouse dies this year what do you claim on the taxes?

For the tax year of death the surviving spouse will file as married filing jointly the same as in past years using all of the itemized deductions and medical expenses that the

How can a father get custody of his 11-year-old son that does not want to live with his mother?

  Father's custody?   Most chilcren of a divorce, live with their mother, although the world has changed, and some fathers have either simple or joined custody. Whateve

Can father kick out 18 year old son if mother disagrees?

18 years of age your son is no longer a minor. If your son is causing serious problems at home and will not conform to house rules then yes, you can kick your son out without