Can a satisfied judgment be taken off of your credit report?

already exists.

Would you like to merge this question into it?

already exists as an alternate of this question.

Would you like to make it the primary and merge this question into it?

exists and is an alternate of .

A satisfied judgment can be taken off your credit, if it is inaccurate. If the judgment is yours, it will remain for the full reporting period allowed by law.
Here is more advice:
  • I have a satisfied judgment on my credit report. We satisfied this judgment 5 years ago. However, the plaintiff the judgment was awarded to, never bothered to give the court an order to mark the judgment satisfied. And I didn't know at the time that I could do it myself. I went down to the court Friday and gave them a 'request to vacate judgment' form. I have to wait a week to see if they will do it. If they don't, I'm taking the plaintiff in this judgment to court. I'm going to sue him for the amount of the satisfied judgment times the 5 years it's been reported to the credit bureaus. The credit bureaus are worthless and they are no help at all. They don't investigate anything. I found a lot of interesting websites with lots of info on how to fix errors on your credit report. If you want more info, email me and I'll send you a list of the URLs I found.
  • The previous answer was a bit scary. Credit reporting is not the responsibility of the judgment plaintiff, nor the courts, nor the bureaus themselves. If a consumer is sued over financial matters that typically show on a credit report (judgments, tax liens, foreclosures and bankruptcies) those actions need their proper disposition. Obtaining that disposition is not anyone else's responsibility. It is up to the defendant to find out what steps to take to clear their credit. A lawsuit for failing to do so would most likely be unsuccessful.
  • The lawsuit that he is speaking of is true and is valid, when and only after you have requested in writing, from the person who has put the Judgement on you, the filing of a satisfaction of Judgement, if they do not file within 14 day of receiving the written request then you can sue for the amount of the Judgement Plus 50 dollars according to California state law Code of Civil Procedure section 116.850. (116.850. (a) If full payment of the judgment is made to the judgment creditor or to the judgment creditor's assignee of record, then immediately upon receipt of payment, the judgment creditor or assignee shall file with the clerk of the court an acknowledgment of satisfaction of the judgment. (b) Any judgment creditor or assignee of record who, after receiving full payment of the judgment and written demand by the judgment debtor, fails without good cause to execute and file an acknowledgment of satisfaction of the judgment with the clerk of the court in which the judgment is entered within 14 days after receiving the request, is liable to the judgment debtor or the judgment debtor's grantees or heirs for all damages sustained by reason of the failure and, in addition, the sum of fifty dollars ($50).)
  • Regarding the above note: Successfully petitioning for a Motion to Satisfy Judgement does nothing more than show that the judgment was satisfied within the negative entry in your credit report. It will remain in your Credit Report (showing satisfied) for 7 years as allowed by law. Now, if someone knows in DETAIL (please be specific with your answer along with Links if referenced) how to truly remove a satisfied/paid judgment within the 7 years then please let us all know.

It should be removed automatically after seven years, but even a judgment that's satisfied can't be removed before then. Your credit history - the good and bad - is reported for a period of seven years.
I went through the same situation with a satisfied judgment that wasnt updated by the plaintiff. However, I found the credit bureaus helpful b/c I was able to go online and dispute it through along with other stuff I know I paid. They updated it within a week and I had about 5 accounts updated (even some I know I still owed) I pays to stay on top of your credit, some companies may change names, lenders, go out of business (you never know) So, my advice is to dispute it on your credit report. Anyway, Good Luck with your lawsuit.
I agree with the above. I recently disputed a judgment that was satisfied but it wasn't being reported that way and they just deleted it.

A satisfied judgment should stay on your credit report for 7 years from the last activity. It can only be removed by the court that placed in on your credit report or by the credit bureau reporting it. You can request to both to verify the account is yours and if they judgment is not verified it can be removed.

A satisfied judgment does not have to stay on for 7 years at all. This is a myth. You must understand the law. It states that derogatory entries can stay on your report for 7 years, not mandatory that it will. The key is can stay on!! That part of the FCRA is in place for people who do not check there credit regularly. So it gives a limit to the holder of the debt or plaintiff to pursue resolution to get debt paid!!! To get removed all you have to do is get notice from original plaintiff that through the courts the debt has been paid. They will acknowledge this and get you a statement letter of satisfaction. Take that letter to the court that rendered the Judgement and they will update. The next step is in writing contact the Credit Bureaus and show cause for a dispute! The cause will be that per the original plaintiff the derogatory entry should be moved. They will have to investigate this for you and when they call the original plaintiff they will not respond and the Bureau will remove within 31 days. I have helped people get over 20 judgments removed this way!
262 people found this useful

How does a satisfied judgment that was filed on a property rented get removed from a credit report?

Satisfied judgments do not get removed from a consumer's credit report until 7 years from the date they were filed. You might get lucky and the judgment be shielded from view

How do you get a judgment to say satisfied on your credit report when it was discharged in your bankruptcy?

If a judgment was included in, and discharged by, your bankruptcy; there is no need to obtain a separate disposition. Write the credit bureaus and send a copy of your bankrupt

Will satisfying a judgment also satisfy the corresponding open debt reported in the accounts portion of the credit report?

Answer . Your question concerns two separate issues.\n. \nA judgment is a legal action that is shown in the "public records" portion of your credit. Any legal item needs

How can you satisfy a credit card judgment?

Answer . Your options are somewhat limited. The judgment is a legal determination that you owe the money. You can (1) simply contact the judgment creditor and/or their at

What does it mean to have a satisfied judgment on your credit report?

It means that a person or company got a court order or some other legal order directing you to pay. That is the judgment. Satisfying the judgment means that you have met all c

How long does a satisfied judgment stay on your credit report WA?

A paid judgment stays on a person's credit report for seven years.An unpaid judgment also stays on the report for seven years, butmay be renewed. Tax liens are another item th

When filing a bankruptcy in miinesota will charge offs and judgments be taken off credit report?

No, the items still aren't paid and were still charged or written off by the lender. Agreeably, the BK may make it so what you still owed is no longer due...but it was charged

Can you get a loan with a satisfied judgment on your credit report?

Depends on the bank, what the loan is for, and on your overall credit score. Wait a few weeks, check your credit rating, and then - carefully, have your mortgage broker or car