Can you declare bankruptcy for overpayment for unemployment?

already exists.

Would you like to merge this question into it?

already exists as an alternate of this question.

Would you like to make it the primary and merge this question into it?

exists and is an alternate of .

No. You can file for bankruptcy for debts to be discharged. If you are being asked to repay the overpayment, that is a debt.Whether it can be discharged or not depends on whether the overpayment is due to something you did that amounts to fraud or misinformation you provided. If you are not at fault for the overpayment, it would usually be dischargeable. Consult a local bankruptcy lawyer, since the case law varies from one bankruptcy court to another.
1 person found this useful

Can you file bankruptcy against a social security overpayment debt?

Answer . It depends. Any overpayments or funds received by fraud from any state or federal agency cannot be discharged in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, or in a Chapter 13 bankru

Can bankruptcy clear an SSI overpayment?

Answer . \nNo, monies owed pertaining to public benefits either federal or state are not dischargeable under bankruptcy laws.

File overpayment of unemployment benefits in Bankruptcy?

You probably won't get any protection/relief for that.. First, overpayments and amounts due to most governmental agencies are given a very high priority.. Second, and more i

If a company declares bankruptcy in Indiana can you collect unemployment?

Unemployment would be paid by your state, so it has nothing to do with the company's financial situation. You should definitely qualify for unemployment unless you were fired.

Can social security disability overpayment be discharged if I file Bankruptcy?

Social Security Disability is, of course, a payment from a federal agency. While there is no rule specifically on Social Security Disability, the general rule is that any fund

Can you file unemployment in a state if you owe overpayment from another state?

Yes, but the following applies: Only the "liable" state (where your work history qualified you for benefits) will pay the benefits, if any. You can file in the liable state, o