What would you like to do?
This is possible, but unlikely. Diesel engines detonate fuel using pressure and temperature, rather than with an artificial spark. This process operates with excessive oxygen, ensuring a much more complete combustion than what is typical in a gasoline engine. Typically, diesel exhaust contains some carbon monoxide, but the amounts are very minimal and not fatal for an otherwise healthy person. The author of this answer used to work as an over-the-road truck driver, and once had an experience where a neighboring truck was basically pumping diesel fumes straight into the sleeper vent all night. The inside of the sleeper was all hazy and the diesel odor was extremely strong, but it did not cause any health problems beyond teary eyes. It is completely possible to get carbon monoxide poisoning from a diesel engine in a road tractor. Contributing factors such as weather, temperature, and engine condition can greatly affect the chance of carbon monoxide poisoning. A good example of this is that a driver in a truck with an exhaust problem when it is cold and raining is at greater risk than the same person in the same truck on a sunny day. The reason for this is the barometric pressure holds the carbon monoxide closer to the ground and allows it to enter the truck.
11 people found this useful
Was this answer useful?
Thanks for the feedback!
Your red blood cells bond to the oxygen when you breath. When you inhale carbon monoxide, it bonds with your red blood cells permanently. With this your red blood cells can …not carry oxygen and you suffocate.
Every poison has a particular trait that causes it to be poisonous. In the case of carbon monoxide, the trait has to do with hemoglobin in the blood. Hemoglobin is made up o…f complex proteins that bind to iron atoms. The structure of the protein and its iron atom causes oxygen to bind to the iron atom very loosely. When blood passes through the lungs, the iron atoms in the hemoglobin bind to oxygen atoms. When the blood flows into areas of the body that are lacking in oxygen, the iron atoms release their oxygen. The difference in oxygen pressure in the lungs and in the parts of the body needing oxygen is very slight. The hemoglobin is very finely tuned to absorb and release oxygen at just the right times. Carbon monoxide, on the other hand, binds very strongly to the iron in hemoglobin. Once carbon monoxide attaches, it is very difficult to release. So if you breath in carbon monoxide, it sticks to your hemoglobin and takes up all of the oxygen binding sites. Eventually, your blood loses all of its ability to transport oxygen, and you suffocate. Because carbon monoxide binds to hemoglobin so strongly, you can be poisoned by carbon monoxide even at very low concentrations if you are exposed for a long period of time. Concentrations as low as 20 or 30 parts per million (PPM) can be harmful if you are exposed for several hours. Exposure at 2,000 PPM for one hour will cause unconsciousness. Many common devices produce carbon monoxide, including cars, gas appliances, wood stoves and cigarettes.
One of the biggest causes of Carbon Monoxide poisoning is faulty central heating boilers. Always have your boiler serviced regularly and instal a carbon monoxide alarm to en…sure you and your family are not at risk.
measurement of carboxyhemoglobin level directly correlates with the severity of illness.
Difficulty Breathing And Strong Allergic Reactions. Like Skin Abnormalities And Very Rarely Hair Reduction. Also Carbon Monoxide Can Cause You To Smell Very Strangely And Last…ly Carbon Monoxide Can Cause Blindness In Some People.
All carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is the same, regardless of the source. We presume you mean from diesel exhaust. CO replaces oxygen in red blood cells and causes oxygen de…privation. In advanced cases it leads to brain damage, the same as from drowning or other forms of suffocation. Immediate treatment involves removing the patient from the presence of CO, and administering oxygen. If a pressure chamber is available, pure oxygen under pressure can overcome some of the problems until the CO is cleared from the body over time. If there is brain damage, it is no more "curable" when caused by carbon monoxide poisoning than from any other source. Time and rehabilitation may lead to improvement.
WE PURCHASED A WARNING DEVICE. IT IS JUST LIKE A SMOKE DETECTOR.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a leading cause of accidental poisoning in the United States. The scary part about CO is that you can't see, smell, hear, feel or taste it. There's a… really helpful article on the Liberty Mutual Solutions site on CO that you might want to check out, but here are a couple tips: Make sure to purchase and install Underwriter's Laboratory-approved CO alarms outside sleeping areas and have a qualified professional annually inspect gas appliances and water heaters for leaks.
Yes, carbon monoxide is a poisonous and very dangerous gas.
Carbon Monoxide, like cyanide, stops your body from absorbing oxygen. Therefore, the first thing one must do to recover from carbon monoxide poisoning is apply oxygen at a hig…h rate (12 L/min).
Yes, you can if you breath the exhaust fumes in an enclosed space where fresh air is not available.
Although most CO poisoning is acute, or sudden, it is possible to suffer from chronic CO poisoning. This condition exists when a person is exposed to low levels of the gas ove…r a period of days to months.
seek medical advice from a doctor WARNING: NEVER TRUST ANY MEDICAL ADVICE FROM OVER THE INTERNET!
Yes, you get carbon monoxide poisoning from a diesel exhaust leak from the engine.
When diseal and oxygen mixture enters the engine's combustion chamber, it burns but, it is a heavy component of crude oil. So, it is oxidised partially which results in th…e formation of carbon monoxide.