How did delhi get its name?
There are a number of legends associated with the origin of the name Delhi. One is that it is derived from Dhillu or Dilu, a king of Mauryan dynasty who built a city at this location in 50 BC and named it after himself. Another legend holds that the name of the city is based on the Hindi/Prakrit word dhili (loose) and that it was used by the Tomaras to refer to the city because the Iron Pillar of Delhi had a weak foundation and had to be moved. The coins in circulation in the region under the Tomaras were called dehliwal. According to the Bhavishya Purana, King Prithviraj Chauhan, of Indraprastha built a new fort in the modern-day Purana Qila area for the convenience of all four castes in his kingdom. He ordered the construction of a gateway to the fort and later named the fort dehali. Some historians believe that the name is derived from Dilli, a corruption of dehleez or dehali-both terms meaning 'threshold' or 'gateway'- and symbolic of the city as a gateway to the Gangetic Plain. Another theory suggests that the city's original name was Dhillika.
1 person found this useful
Ancient Delhi was known as Indraprasth.
Shahjahanabad Ashvjit Singh indhira prastham indhira prastham Shahjahanabad
You need to go a a court, lower or district court and need to do an affidavit through a lawyer who should charge you a nominal fee. Once the affidavit is done, you need to pub…lish this change in the local newspaper. Keep a cutting of this with you once published. Your name is changed. Now, anywhere you have the old name, say if you have to submit a certificate with your old name, or anytime there is a confusion in your name, you need to produce a copy of the affidavit. There are also ways to change the name in your passport and PAN card. .
\nMr Savitur Prasad
Mrs. Shiela Dixit
The earlier name of Delhi was Indraprasth...........
Baolis or stepwells were built to collect rainwater during the monsoons and allow people to access the receding water through the year. They are examples of the many types of …storage and irrigation tanks that were developed, mainly to cope with seasonal fluctuations in water availability. The majority of surviving stepwells originally also served a leisure purpose because the base of the well provided relief from daytime heat. Stepwells also served as a place for social gatherings and religious ceremonies. Usually, women were more associated with these wells because they were the ones who collected the water and it was they who prayed and offered gifts to the goddess of the well for her blessings. This led to the building of some significant ornamental and architectural features often associated with dwellings, it also ensured their survival as monuments. Stepwells usually consist of two parts: a vertical shaft from which water is drawn and the surrounding inclined subterranean passageways, chambers and steps which provide access to the well. The galleries and chambers surrounding these wells were often carved profusely with elaborate detail and became cool, quiet retreats during the hot summers. Historians say that while there were over a hundred baolis in Delhi towards the start of the 20th century, today only about 10-15 have survived urbanization. Many baolis were lost or filled in completely due to large scale construction. Apart from the bigger baolis like Ugrasen ki baoli or Rajon ki baoli, etc., there were many small baolis from the Lodi and Mughal times. These were used extensively as a source of water for the locals. . Agrasen ki Baoli - It is not certain who built this step-well, Agrasen ki Baoli, though some credit a king called Agrasen. The Agrasen ki Baoli, named after Raja Agrasen of the Mahabharata, is believed to have been built during the 10th century BC. But historians feel the Baoli was built in the 14th century AD by the Agarwal community. Close to the heart of Connaught place in Central Delhi the 104-step Baoli used to be the epicentre of cultural life in Delhi in 14th century. Spanning 60 metres in length and 15 metres in width and flanked on both sides by niches, chambers and passageways, the baoli has three landings. Centuries ago this was a reservoir as well as a summer refuge for heart stricken citizens, living in pre lodhi times. The well was surrounded by cool corridors where the locals lounged on hot summer afternoons. As the water level plunged the people would seek a cooler retreat in the baoli's lower reaches. Till 2002 there was water but now all the water has evaporated.. Hazrat Nizamuddin ki Baoli - The baoli in Nizamussin Basti was built by the sufi saint Hazrat Nizamuddin more than 700 years ago (14th century). This is the only Baoli in Delhi that still has water as it has an active underground spring. It measures 123 ft by 53 ft internally and is enclosed by a wall on the South-East and West. The construction of this step-well began at the same time as Ghiyas-ud-din Tughlaq began building his massive Tughlaqabad fort. The emperor wanted all the masons in the land to work on his fort alone. They could not undertake any other project. However, Nizamuddin was keen on having the Baoli built at the same time. So the masons worked on the fort during the day and on the Baoli by night. In a fit of pique, the emperor cut off the supply of oil to Ghiyaspur (present day Nizamuddin) so that there would be no light to work on the Baoli at night. The story goes that Nizamuddin lit the lamps with water and cursed the emperor, saying that his fort would remain deserted on completion. Its walls are made of huge blocks of Delhi quartzite, the city's only local stone, which is also seen in the Tughlaqabad fort. Over the decades, the water of Hazrat Nizamuddin's baoli became toxic with decomposed muck. In 2009, a renovation project undertaken by the Aga Khan Trust for Culture and ASI managed to reach the well's foundation. Today, the water looks clean. Gandak ki Baoli - The Gandhak ki Baoli, near Qutab Minar, was built by Iltutmish for Bakhtiar Kaki (a Sufi mystic responsible for establishing the Sufi order in Delhi) in 13th century. The baoli is in five tiers, each tier narrowing as it descends towards the bottom. The Gandhak ki Baoli got its name from the smelly sulphur springs that fed the well. Because of its sulphur-rich water, said to have healing properties for skin ailments, this baoli was used as a spa. The baoli is called the diving well since men dive in it for the amusement of visitors Rajon ki Baoli -Of all the Baolis, it was the most ornamental. Located in Mehrauli, it was Built by Sikander Lodhi in the 16th century. 'Rajon' refers not to the kings but to the masons. With 66 steps, the baoli's top floor has a row of arched niches, which are cool inside. Bahadur Shah Zafar mahal baoli- The baoli near the mahal of Bahadur Shah Zafar is built in imitation of the wells at Gandak-ki-Baoli and Rajon-ki-Bain. It contains about 74 steps and was built in three stages during the reign of Aurangzeb. Lal Qila Baoli - The Red Fort's baoli is 14th century, significantly pre-dating the fort itself which is 17th century. The baoli is built of Delhi Quartzite stone. It has an unusual design that features an octagonal well-shaft, two-stories and two sets of steps leading down, one from the north and one from the west. The staircases are lined with chambers on both sides. A passageway leads to the deep, dark reservoir adjacent to the tank. It is belived that the baoli dates back to Tughlaq-era. Some historians concede that it might have also been used by the inhabitants of Salimgarh Fort that pre-dates the Red Fort and was integrated with the Red Fort itself as a garrison by Shahjahan. Shahjahan extensively renovated the baoli to suit his fine tastes. The British when they occupied the fort converted the chambers into jail rooms for members of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose's Indian National Army. Even Dara Shikoh was imprisoned in the remote part of the Red Fort before his assassination on the order of his brother, Aurangzeb. After the British left, the baoli came under the control of Indian Army, then the CRPF and now ASI. It was allowed to be reclaimed by vegetation and weeds and put to use as a dump yard. Hauz Khas Baoli - The Hauz-i-Alai Tank,originally built by Sultan Alaudin Khilji in the 13th - 14th centuries B.C., went dry soon after his death in 1316. It was rebuilt by Feroz Shah Tughlaq 50 years later. It was used to supply water to Siri which has the tomb of Firoz Shah Tughlaq, a mosque and a madrasa (college for Islamic studies) on its eastern and southern sides. Firoz Shah Kotla baoli - Firoz Shah Kotla baoli was built as a part of the fortress by Feroz Shah Tughlaq. This Baoli served as a summer retreat for the Royalties where they spent time cooling off and bathing in the water of this well. The circular baoli with a triangular base lies towards the north western side of the Ashokan Pillar and in the heart of a large garden constructed in the form of subterranean apartments and a large underground canal built on its eastern side through which the water runs into the well. Nowadays it teams with large fish and is used water the gardens of the complex. . Khari baoli - Khari baoli gets its name Khari or Khara, meaning salty. It was a saline water stepwell used for animals and for bathing. It was constructed along with a fortified gateway on its western end popularly known as Lahori Gate, during the Mughal era. However, today there is no trace of either the well or the gateway, which now lie buried under the main road of Asia's largest spice market. The market came up around the Fatehpuri Masjid, which was built in 1650 by Fatehpuri Begum, one of Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan's wives. . Arab-ki-Sarai's baoli - Arab-ki-sarai is among the several smaller monuments surrounding Humayun's Tomb. This L-shaped baoli was built to quench the thirst of the over 300 Persian artisans who stayed in while constructing Arab-ki-sarai. . Dwarka Baoli - The baoli dates back to the Lodi era, with typical Lodi architecture and prominent arches near the steps. The baoli does not figure in INTACH's 2001 listing of heritage buildings in the city, but is included prominently in Zafar Hasan's list which was brought out in the 1910s. The Zafar Hasan listing mentions the existence of the baoli in village Loharehri and highlights that the monument is a one-of-its-kind structure as there is no evidence of any other structure in the area. The 1910 listing states that it is not very deep and should have about 22 steps. . Shamilat Deb Baoli - is also mentioned by Maulvi Zafar Hasan in the old Sultanpur area of Mehrauli. Even during the early years of the 20th Century it was not in use, being filled up with mud and only eight steps visible. Puran Qila baoli- The construction work of Purana Qila started in 1533 , under the reign of Humayun but it was completed after 5 years. But his reign here was short lived. In 1540 Sher Shah the Afghan-origin chieftain from eastern India ended Humayun's reign and ousted him. Sher Shah reigned here for 5 years until his death in 1545. But during his reign he also built many important monuments here. Humayun regained the fort in 1555 after 15 year of being ousted but he died a tragic death shortly in 1556. The baoli was a part of the fort. Ascending down to 22 metres this well was an important source of water. It could have been the only source. Since the fort stood on an elevation, the well had to be dug deeper. The way in which they managed to create the 89 steps well with proper covering is a great achievement even by today's standard. . Manwari Begum -ka-Burj, a baoli was built during the reign of Feroz Tughlak. The tablet attached to it was so badly obliterated that Maulvi Zafar Hasan could not make any sense out of it but even so recommended the preservation of the baoli. . Sources:. www.delhiheritagewalks.com www.travel-and-tourism.ws . www.thedelhiwalla.com . www.indiaheritagehub.org.
pine tree seesham tree
Delhi was named after a 5th Century king, Dhillu, who built the city in 50 BC and called it after himself.
Indra Gandhi Domestic Airport
prithvi raj chauhan my email id is firstname.lastname@example.org all can msg me abt this answer