What would you like to do?
How long does the pain from shingles normally last?
- 2 weeks to 4 months and the pain can be unbearable! I thought I
had messed up my shoulder bad! It first started on my shoulder and
felt like a bruise, then just a tiny quarter size rash appeared,
after about a week I could barely use my arm so I went to the Dr.
and she said it was shingles. I was so relieved that that my
shoulder rotary cuff was not messed up and no surgery was needed!
But the pain is real, my Dr. put me on Valtrex and Lortab, it still
took almost a week for the pain to subside where I could actually
use my arm again. It was almost impossible to get any sleep. It has
been 2 weeks since it started and there is still some pain and
throbbing but it is so much better now, so there is hope, just hang
- My husband has recently had shingles this is his 5th week of pain. He has gone back to work but is still in agony. His rash is clearing up, but the pain for him is tremendous. The doctor has prescribed him Co-codamol but it seems to be doing very little. His employees at work say that the pain should only last a week and they are giving him a hard time about it, which is making him very run down and tired. He is getting no sleep at night and can't settle.
- I have shingles and I suggest that your husband go back to his Doctor for stronger pain meds. I am on Morphine patches for the pain and its been 5 weeks for me now. The rash is almost gone, but the pain hasn't. My Doctor says the pain is Postherpetic Neurqalgia. And one of the most difficult pains to control. Remember to be very determined when talking to Doctor, don't let him just shrug off the pain.
- As below and in other answers, the rash will clear up in two to three weeks, but the pain is intense, and can go on for much longer. In my case, a friend said that it is an illness that can start when a person is run down, and a bit exhausted. After three weeks I took her advice, and started eating lots of rich nutritious food, mince pies (it was before Christmas), chocolate cheese cakes, frittatas, etc. I even nearly tried her remedy of Guinness with condensed milk. I would say that I started to feel better for the first time after that.
- I have had shingles for about four weeks. The pain started deep in my ribs, several ribs still feel bruised. It was initially diagnosed as a muscle strain, so it was too late to benefit from the anitiviral. The rash is minimal, just two patches, one on the shoulder blade, the other just under my left breast. The rash never oozed, looked more like insect or spider bites. I take prednisone, neurontin and Tylenol with codeine. I read that it's important to take extra vitamin C, so I use a packet of Emeren -C every day. I tried the lidoderm patch but it irritated my skin. I try to dress in light layers of cotton clothing, by day's end nothing is comfortable. I guess that I am having a milder form of shingles pain, I have been able to go to school (I'm a teacher) and with Valium I do get sleep at night. My husband rubs my back every night, and it's the only thing that really comforts me. He uses a light touch, especially on the left side where the rash and pain are, but it seems that the light movement of his hand, which warms as he massages, really helps. The last few days, I seem to have more energy and more tolerance for the pain.
220 people found this useful
Was this answer useful?
Thanks for the feedback!
It varies. It depends on what part of the body it attacks, the severity, also it depends on the persons health at the time of attack.
I can tell you that it lasts longer than two weeks because i have shingles right now and it has been two week and these are just starting to ooze, i know its gross. I have bee…n looking on many other sites and they have said that it will last for about a month. I think that it really depends on the person and how bad your shingles are now. Many of the cases will vary so depending on how long you have had them and how bad they are, you can guess how long it will last. I would recommend that you go to your doctor but i went to mine and she told me this was supposed to last 5 days and that's definitely not the case. Good luck with the pain
i have shinges for 3 weeks . i still have pain in the back . on the right side . on my stomack area and soft red marks . i like to knew long in have to suffer with shing…les ? firstname.lastname@example.org
The visible symptoms of shingles usually lasts about 2 weeks. The full period including when general illness or skin soreness are the only symptoms usually lasts abo…ut a month. However, some patients may develop Post-Herpetic Neuralgia which is the most serious complication of shingles. Post-Herpetic Neuralgia can last for months or years and can be very painful.
Shingles in the mouth can last up to one month. However, if they are treated and you receive antibiotics for the shingles, they were heal at a much faster rate than if you… allow them to heal naturally.
I have shingles since the first sting under left arm Sept 25th thought I got a bug bite the next day there was no bite just terrible itching in about a week the rash started s…till not much pain just itching the second week pain near the rash it progressed all the way around my chest to mid back felt like a vise is holding me clamping down from front thru to back. unbearable at times my doc said it was shingles I already knew had it small patch on right shoulder when i was a teenager. Took neurotin and antiviral full dose quit the neurontin it made me so dizzy couldn't walk went to another doc she gave me percocet helps me sleep and get thru the day it is now 5 weeks still have pain it is constant but aleve helps it now my doc said it is post pain and could last two months or off and on rest of your life. I'm a retired RN in all the yrs i worked never heard of anyone having it that long it will go away but when is the secret.I will for sure get the vaccine when I'm healed.
They are usually guaranteed for 30 years. However, they are now making a shingle that is guaranteed for 50 years.
Months to a decade if you are talking about the neuralgia that comes with it
I wish I had a definite answer for you but I don't. Shingles break outs vary in how long stay around. A lot depends on diet, immune system, and stress. The great thing is now …they have medication that can lessen the time and the amount of Shingles. My Grandma has had Shingles twice. The first time she had a ton of them but her recovery time was longer and the second time she went to the doctor immediately and received Valtrex resulting in less Shingles but they lasted for 2 months! You just never know. Some things to make you more comfortable if you do contract Shingles: - Ibuprofen - An anti-itch cream or lotion - Clean your shingles with soap and water twice a day. - Use a cool compress to keep your rash cool to relive pain and itching - Add a small amount of vinegar to your compress for extra help with pain and itching - Relax in an Oatmeal or Baking Soda bath - Try one of the treatments for Shingles: Zovirax, Valtrex, or Famvir
I would say that you can't reliably diagnose zoster (shingles) without the rash. Some specialists have coined the term "zoster sine herpete" for symptoms (usually pain) withou…t any rash that they believe is due to the varicella virus (the cause of chicken pox and then shingles) but the existence of this has been difficult to establish and it is nearly impossible (some would say impossible) to diagnose in most clinical settings.
I have shngles right now, and I found the exhaustion was before any other symptoms started and lasted about 5 days (before rash and pain occurred.) I felt generally lousy for …about the first 3 days of rash and pain and now feel better in myself after alot of rest. Still suffering with alot of pain and rash though now which is day 7
Often 2 weeks or more but can last years in some people (called post herpetic neuralgia). In lomng standing pain following shingles specific medications can assist.
The answer of course is, "it depends". Usually the fatigue will reduce and then disappear as the breakout does, much like it does with that other viral infection you have alre…ady experienced, the flu. In a minority of cases however, the fatigue may last for weeks or even months.
I have shingles in my scalp and the pain is 10+ this is week 5 and the Dr. Said it could last several more they now have me on Hydrocodone and the haelp but the pain is BIG
It can last for years and become a chronic condition lasting up to a lifetime. This is not in all people, of course. Neuralgia may also be acute and disappear when the shingle…s do.
30 day or longer. 30 days or longer is putting it mildly. I have had the shingle pain since August 2011 it is now almost 10 months I tried a number of remedies and the only th…ing that helps is the drug "Gabapentin" by prescription only. I increased the amount to 1800 mg per day 600 mg every 6 hours night time is hard to stay on schedule because I go to bed at different hours. Look it up. This medication is for the nerve damage that shingles produces. I am 74 years young until I had a case of the shingles now I'm 74 years old. I recently have had the shingles shot that Medicare does not pay for. Plan "D" of Medicare will help with the expense which I don't have so I'm paying full price but if it does the job for the future. WHO CARES. Good Luck. POPS