What would you like to do?
It's probably a fairly small proportion. According to evolutionary biologist Robert May, President of Britain's Royal Society, "We share half our genes with the banana" (2001), but genes only make up 2% of human DNA - the answer depends on what proportion of the remaining 98% is the same. Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes and bananas 11 pairs - even if the 11 banana chromosomes were identical to human ones (they're not) it would still mean that less than half of human DNA would be found in a banana.
17 people found this useful
Was this answer useful?
Thanks for the feedback!
We will not know the answer to this until the genomes of whale species are sequenced. However, given that whales and humans are mammals, they would be expected to share …many similarities.
Humans and cats have similar x and y chromosomes and have the same ancestor from the past. Cats and humans share 90 percent of homologous genes.
Surprisingly, according to the related link below, domestic bovines (or the colloquial "cow") actually share 80% of genes with humans.
It is commonly though to be 98%. However, recent studies have differing views. The BBC has published 95%, and Riken (a Japanese Lab) has published 85%. Please see the relate…d links for the articles.
we are all bannas and slugs and apes so they had a three way at some point
I'm sure it differs with each species but I know human DNA and chimpanzee DNA only differ by 2% if not less
I've just come back from Borneo. The rangers at the Sepilock sanctuary have said the DNA is 96.4% the same.
Depends, if your talking about yourself, all of it.
All living creatures on earth share some amount of DNA, including mammals, reptiles, fish, plants, sea sponges, bacteria, and viruses. Humans share much more DNA with mammals …than any other creature. And we share more DNA with lizards than we do fish. This is because mammals split off from the mammal-lizard common ancestor long after the fish-amphibian common ancestor. Humans share as much as 50% of genes with plants, so our relatedness to nuts is around this figure. It is interesting to note that researchers have found various genes associated with human ailments in different creatures. For instance, the gene connected to deafness has been found in some plants.
we share 1/3, or 25%, of a daffodil.
To my knowledge, the crow genome has not been sufficiently analyzed for a definite answer. The process of complete genome analysis is time consuming and expensive, so scientis…ts have been selecting organisms that are highly used in research for genome analysis. That said, the genome of the chicken has been mostly completed. Given that chickens aren't that much closer to or further from humans than crows, the DNA similarity between humans and chickens is at least in the same ballpark as humans and crows. The chicken genome is about 1/3 the size of the human genome (1.2Gb instead of 3.4 Gb) but this is not due to much to birds having fewer genes as having mostly the same genes more compactly arranged in chromosomes. My own experience (I have a little experience with chicken genetics) has been that chicken genes tend to be about 75-85% identical with human genes.
Humans share very little with a potato. Chromosomes are a collection of DNA woven around protein. A chromosome may contain as many as 100,000 to billions of nucleotides in… one chain. Chimpanzee and humans share a very SIMILAR DNA pattern, where as a potato and a human being don't. So although they both have 48 chromosomes, their DNA STUCTURE is vastly different.