If you have joint legal custody and the father has primary physical but delegates all care to his parents and is not involved with the children how hard would it be for the mother to get custody?

already exists.

Would you like to merge this question into it?

already exists as an alternate of this question.

Would you like to make it the primary and merge this question into it?

exists and is an alternate of .

The laws vary from state to state, can you narrow it down just a bit?  The first issue a judge would address is why the father was awarded primary physical custody in the first place? Secondly, what has changed in the mother's situation that would warrant the custodial order to be changed?
It is highly unlikely a judge would have minor children removed from a home they have become accustomed to, unless there was proof of neglect and/or abuse. Many fathers and mothers are not involved in their children's lives even when they are together as a family, therefore the issue of his alledged non-involvement might be considered irrelevant by the court.  Thank you for your replies! I apologize for the length of this, but this situation is so ridiculous that its hard to believe that something so awful could slip thru the cracks, so to speak and it takes a bit to explain it all.
This concerns the state of Maryland.
PAST BACKGROUND: The Mother did not intentionally relinquish custody, but was actually tricked into signing a document that she was told enrolled the oldest in School (but was actually custody documents he had his lawyer draw up and stapled to school documents and letterhead). She was told to sign them quickly and that "They are for school, don't read them, just sign them!" and being still fearfull of him, but never suspecting such a thing did as asked. Stupid, yes. Bad Mom, no.
When he didnt return the children after that summer visit (a couple of weeks), she was told "Those school papers were actually custody papers. Too bad for you." The papers came from the court that week, in fact they had been entered in and accepted as uncontested custody pending the Divorce.
Mom had to raise money - she was completely broke so this took months. Meanwhile, the Divorce hearing came and Mom still couldn't afford a lawyer, even though she was working 3 jobs to try. She tried representing herself, asked for a postponment, asked for a separate custody hearing, but Dad got everything he asked for (his Mother had hired him the meanest attorney in the county, literally).
A couple months later, Mom finally had enough for the $5000 retainer and hired a Lawyer who told her she couldn't get custody since she had (prevoiusly) been in counseling (and on antidepressants) for abuse (by his hand). This counseling and meds only lasted 6 months, started right after she left him and ended before the Divorce trial even came around. Her Doctor provided notarized notes (And offered to testify) that she was completely Healthy and well now and that the counseling had been BECAUSE of Abuse by the childrens FATHER. The 6 years worth of abuse is all well documented by numerous Police, Medical, and other records and photos. She also had a restraining order against the Father at one point after he tried to run her car off the road the week she left him. The Fathers Mother was claiming Mom was insane (using the counseling as "proof"), and got the Father, her Mother (yes, the kids Great Grandmother), and her Boyfriend to say the same. Moms Lawyer got scared.
The other reason the Lawyer gave for settling was that Mom had moved by then to a neighboring state (that was only 1 hour away, but a different state). So, there was never a trial, just lawyers settling out of court. Obviously, this should have gone before a Judge. Air tight, official documentation beats word of mouth stories no matter how many people are convinced to lie, right?
Mom is involved with the children as much as she is "permitted" to be, she has them every weekend and all Summer (Per the later settlement). She now is a stay at home mom to 2 babies from her recent marriage.
Now the Father said THIS WEEKEND that he wants nothing to do with the Kids ("Im too busy and don't have time" - that's an ACTUAL quote.), but that HIS Mother wont LET him give the kids back. Yes, he used the word "Let". Hes very scared of her still (hes 28) as she abused him for years. He does WHATEVER she says. He even signs Moms child support check over to his mothers boyfriend in full as he demands it. And as such, his mother and her boyfriend have the children and are primary care givers on Weekdays. The Father comes and goes as he pleases, but is not involved with the kids.
There is a significant ammount of abuse & neglect going on as well. DSS became involved at one point after the Fathers Mother was found to be beating the children with a wooden spoon. They investigated, found it to be true, but that was "ok" because she promised to stop (that was actually written in the papers). I believe the actual beating has now stopped. The Kids had no winter coats (Mom bought some), holes in their shoes (Mom replaced them), clothes that don't fit (2 sizes too small - Mom bought some clothes), and the Father doesnt care about school problems and refuses to meet with Teachers after they send home notes that there are problems at School. He told them he didnt have time (Mom found the notes and went straight to the school, grades are dropping and the kids are getting into fights at school).
The Fathers Mother and her boyfriend fight constantly, they also both fight with the Father. The environment is extremely hostile. The children are upset about the fighting and indeference and continually ask everyone (family members) why cant they go live with Mom since her home is happy and shes always there for them.
HELP!!! Mom wanted to make sure she has a case before she seeks legal help. She just doesnt trust Lawyers much anymore. The children are suffering and the entire situation is insane. Would DSS even care at this time? Or, should she get another (better) Lawyer? Would they care? Is there legal grounds here? She thought there was plenty before, but the Lawyer didnt think so. Even with the abuse to the kids, abuse photos (what dad did to mom), police records, etc...
What in the world does a Mother do when her children are legally being held hostage in a war zone and no one seems to care?
Any advice is most appreciated. This family is suffering terribly because of this situation. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.  It's difficult to admit but unfortunately there are attorneys who do not adhere to the ethics of the profession and the professional rules of conduct that all attorneys are required to swear an oath to.
Documents that are considered legal that are signed under duress, intimidation and or fraudulent action are always subject to appeal, and why the mother's attorney did not use that is a mystery.
One option would be to contact a women's help center who can refer the mother to an attorney who would be more sympathetic with her situation and without question ethical.
Being in counseling and taking prescription medication is not something a judge would take into consideration unless there was an indication that the medication was being misused and/or the person were addicted to the point they could not function normally.
The father would be able to relinquish custodial rights to the mother through a fairly simple court procedure. Unless there were extreme mitigating circumstancaes a judge would certainly not void the action especially if since the mother has established a new family and is capable of supplying a stable home environment.
Since this website is not meant for personal communication please feel free to email me at macky83@juno.com if I can be of assistance.
It sounds to me that it would benefit the children to have their own attorney through Social Services who would make recommendations to the presiding judge as to where the children should be placed. Someone unbiased who can look at both living situations and the court considers to have the children's best interests in mind might be a better route for you to regain custody of your kids given the circumstances you're describing. Good luck.
18 people found this useful

Do you have a right to move the child overseas if you have joint custody with father and you have primary physical custody?

No. A minor cannot be removed from the jurisdiction in which the custody was awarded, without the permission of the other parent and the Family Court. In FL our lawyer told us it is the other parents permission OR that of the family court. But that both are not necessary to move with the child. A (MORE)

What rights do you have if you have joint custody in Alabama and the mother is the primary care giver?

Answer . \nThe terms will be set out in the custodial agreement in conjunction with the individual circumstances of the persons involved. Generally joint custody allows both parents to have equal say in all issues directly concerning the children, such as medical care, education, extracurricular (MORE)

Can a 16-year-old live with friends with their mother's permission if the mother has primary physical care in joint custody of the 16-year-old?

Answer . If the parents have joint legal custody, then Dad has an equal say. Even if they don't have joint legal custody, I would imagine that something such as this (allowing the child to move in with a friend) would be a sufficient reason for Dad to ask the court to award him custody, and he (MORE)

If you have sole legal custody in the state of Oregon if you died would your husband get custody of your minor children or would their legal father get custody?

My husband had this happen to him..... The mother had sole custody, she died in a car accident. Father picked her up and now had sole custody of her. We called around to different attourneys to see if we had to do anything through the courts to get sole custody, and we were told that due to bio moth (MORE)

If you have primary physical custody and joint legal custody do you have move rights then the parent that does not have physical custody when it comes to the best interest of the child?

Answer . yes and no. joint legal basically means the other parent can get any and all legal info on the child such as medical records, school records and of course anything legal or court related if the child gets in trouble and in some cases the other parent is invloved in major decision making (MORE)

If you have primary physical custody and joint legal custody can the noncustodial parent stop a child from moving overseas if the parent has been assigned by the Air Force to a station overseas?

Answer i think the real question is whats best for the child which i think is too often not asked - if your job keeps you away from a young child for long periods of time, if its possible you could be deployed without your child, then perhaps its best for the child to be with the other parent - rat (MORE)

Can you have joint physical and legal custody?

Yes if ordered by the Judge. But usually they will have a primary residence. Visitation is listed in the order or the other parent. If you don't have an order of custody or it wasn't addressed, you can always file a motion to have it changed.

Does a parent with joint physical custody and joint legal custody have to pay child support?

It depends on a number of different factors. How often do you have the children vs the other parent? What is your income vs the other parent? etc. Child support is supposed to reflect the type of lifestyle your child may have had if the parents had stayed together. It is also to keep it fair to the (MORE)

How can a father legally have custody of his children if the legal system favors the mother?

About the only way a Father can obtain legal custody of hischildren is if the Mother is deemed unfit or mentally unable totake care of the children. Unfit meaning she is negligent orabusing drugs or alcohol. If she is drinking or using drugs it hasto be proven and this is very hard to prove this unl (MORE)

Father of a child who does not have primary custody only joint is taking the child to NC for a vacation on his weekend he refused the primary parent any information agreement was made in CT legal?

Read your custody agreement. Everything that governs, or limits, the 'right' of the non-custodial parent during his visitation should be set forth in the custody agreement. If it isn't set forth in the custody agreement then there is no limitation on him. It is, I agree, pretty callous to just take (MORE)

What is Joint legal Custody and partial Physical Custody?

Joint legal custody indicates that both parents have the right to make joint decisions on the raising of a child (education, health care, etc.). If there are conflicts in such decisions then it is only applicable if such disagreements are reasonable in the eyes of the court. If they are deemed "unre (MORE)

What does primary physical and legal custody mean?

There are two types of custody recognized by law: physical and legal. Physical custody pertains to who the child lives with. Legal custody pertains to who is responsible for making decisions on the child's behalf. If you have sole physical custody the child lives with you all the time, altho (MORE)

You have joint legal and physical custody can your child's mother take it from you with false allegations?

She sure can. The courts take the kids safety very seriously. For example, say she alleges that your a drug addict. The court will take them from you immeadiately. However, you will get a court date and be able to defend yourself. If you can prove that her allegations are false, you will get them ba (MORE)

Can a 16 year old live with the father while the mother has physical custody and the father has joint custody?

Only Indiana and Texas has laws setting out a specific age at which a child can make a choice the court is required to abide by, and even than there are some limitations. With those states, it is age 14. In all other states, the general rule of thumb is that a 12 year old can express and opinion (MORE)

Can a Father get joint legal and physical custody of a newborn in GA?

Yes, but there are steps you must take to get to that point. First, you will need to file a petition to legitimate child and modification of child custody (unless you are legally married to the mother). Normally, in most Georgia cases, you will automatically be granted joint legal custody, but not n (MORE)

What if the parent with physical custody doesn't provide the father who has joint custody all the information he should know about his child?

The father should return to court and file a motion for contempt against the mother. If she continues to refuse to be co-operative she could eventually lose custody. The father must press his own case and be persistent. He should speak with an attorney or a legal advocate at the family court. Answ (MORE)

What are your rights if you have joint legal custody and the other parent has primary physical custody?

You have the right to a regular visitation schedule that must be followed by the parent with physical custody. You have the right to join in any decisions that must be made regarding the child such as medical treatment, education, religion, sports, dental treatment, etc. You have the right to a reg (MORE)

How does a father get primary custody if unwed in CA and the judge has authorized only minimum visitation with joint physical and legal custody?

Generally, the order stands until there has been a significant change in circumstances that warrant another review by the court. In order to obtain primary custody the father would need to provide evidence that "primary" custody of the father would be in the best interest of the child and the presen (MORE)

Can a mother with joint custody move with children to another state without fathers consent?

That would be something that would have to be decided by a court. Depending on the circumstances surrounding the move, it may or may not be granted. If the mother has a compelling reason to move, the request may be granted, however the onus would be on the mother to retain their joint custodial righ (MORE)

Can a mother who has joint physical custody of her son pierce his ears without the consent of the father?

If the father has legal custody, no. Not without his consent. If she has joint legal custody , no. Not without his consent. If she has sole legal custody , yes. If the father has legal custody, no. Not without his consent. If she has joint legal custody , no. Not without his consent. If she has (MORE)

We have joint legal custody but the father has primary physical custody. Does he have to provide the child's address?

Of course, unless the other parent to the child or previous spouse is not restricted in any way (such as abuse in any form). Both parents have a right to know where the child is when with the other parent. It's not acceptable to just drop off the face of the earth every time the mom has the kids (MORE)

Does a parent with joint physical custody and joint legal custody have to pay child support in va?

Yes. That parent may be required to pay child support depending on the incomes of the parents and other factors. You need to consult with an attorney who specializes in domestic issues in your jurisdiction. Yes. That parent may be required to pay child support depending on the incomes of the pa (MORE)