What would you like to do?

In the event of a city power cut can you use a single-phase 240V generator to connect across the two 120V phases supplying the house and would you still get 120V to neutral on each side?

already exists.

Would you like to merge this question into it?

already exists as an alternate of this question.

Would you like to make it the primary and merge this question into it?

exists and is an alternate of .

Answer Yes you can BUT because you asked this question you should have a pro show you how to do it. Just to give you a worst case example, transformers work in both directions so if you feed the "city" with 220v your neighbors will enjoy your power until your generator burns up. Maybe 2-3 seconds!  Another thought Yes, IF you have a neutral connection at your generator. If you do not connect the neutral you will not have 110v from hot to neutral. This is because your house must be perfectly balanced across the neutral to have the correct voltage divider to split 220V into 110V. This is near impossible in a residential situation. You need the neutral for 110V.
Also, buy a generator transfer panel if you plan to power your house off a generator. It's the law.
 MoreNot because it's the law, but if you don't have a transfer panel and you connect it directly to your panel you'll also be putting current to the lines coming into your house.

This is real scary for the electricians that come out to repair the power. The (city) power is off and they don't expect to see (feel!) any on your end. You could end up electrocuting someone.
Thanks for the feedback!

How can a 240V single-phase split ac work in the US which has a 120V 2-phase system?

Note "2-phase" to describe US residential service is depricated nomenclature. US residential service is single phase because the two hot supply phases have 0 degrees of separ

You need to connect a compressor which is rated at 240V ac but it is hooked up to a 120V power supply so you're uncertain on how that could be and how to connect the compressor?

  Answer     Your compressor is a dual voltage compressor. The original installer followed   the instructions to switch it (probably internally) to the 230 vo

Would a steam generator be better supplied by a 120V supply or 240V?

Answer   Electric steamers are available for home use.   The answer is to look at the machine's nameplate to find out the voltage required.   Answer   I used

Single phase 4 pole Gen alt w 240V 60hz output no neutral. you check from each lead to ground and get 50-70V How do you get a neutral for connecting Gen to a standard breaker box having 240V and 120V?

  Answer     Neutral is at the jumper that changes it from 120v to 240v. Two stator windings are used in series to make 240v; at that junction is (when wired in

Can you run a 240V heater on 120V supply?

Answer for USA, Canada and countries running a 60 Hz power supply service.   You can BUT it will not warm up to its rated amount, therefore, it probably will not perform

What if you used 240V UK supply to power 120V US Bose speakers?

  Don't do it. Period. You will overheat the wires , blow the board and start a fire within seconds. I assume you're talking about the pre amp and the amplifier. Most soun

How do you get a split phase 120v 240v power supply from a single phase 240v supply for an American RV with a 50 amp service?

This is a common misconception. A standard 240 utility feed, common in the US, and a 120/240 feed are one in the same, the exact same thing. It is called (historically) an Edi

How can you get 240V single-phase power from a 240V 3-phase service Can you just connect to two poles of the 240V 3-phase service?

If the 240V 3-phase service is 240V phase-to-phase, then you can get 240V single-phase by simply picking two phases (poles, as used in the question) and connecting the load ac

My range came with a 4 wire power cord and it requires both 120V 240V. Should I connect three phases being one connected to the neutral?

No! Two hots and a neutral, plus a ground. The neutral would land on the screw marked with a "W" or with a white dot and the ground to the green screw, the two hots land on th

How can you get 240V single phase power from a 240V 3 phase service Can you just connect to two poles of the 240V 3 phase service?

I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, but you probably need to ask an electrician familiar with your service and what you want to connect. As a general answer, you can co

How can a 240V single phase split ac work in the US which has a 120V 2 phase system?

The US does not use a two-phase system. In fact, two-phase systems are very rare, these days. A two-phase system is where the phase voltages are displaced by 90 degrees, where

Where is the problem if you have 240V on your 120V outlet and 120V on the neutral?

Someone has wired 240 volts into your 120 volt outlet. If you have 240 volts you need a specially configured outlet so that a standard 120 volt plug cannot be inserted. If you

Can you use a 120v appliance with a 240v supply?

It depends on what the appliance is. Some smaller appliances have a dual voltage switch which allows you to adjust the appliance to the supply voltage. Look on the manufacture