What would you like to do?
What are the fiction genres?
The usual categories of fiction (called genres) include the following:
- Adventure - stories where there is an element of danger and risk. This category often overlaps the others, so that you have a fantasy novel with lots of adventure, or an adventure story with a mystery.
- Comic or Graphic Novel - a fairly new category which includes the art as well as the story writing
- Drama - the original term 'drama' meant stage drama, and was divided into comedy and tragedy - now we use the term to refer to any sort of fiction that ... well, that doesn't fit into any of the other categories on this page!
- Erotic or Pornography - stories about sex
- Espionage or Spy Thriller - stories about spies and international intrigue
- Fanfiction - stories about another author's characters, such as Harry Potter fanfiction or Star Trek fanfiction. This sort of fiction cannot be sold!
- Fantasy - stories that contain elements of what was once called 'fairy tales.' Fantasy stories deal with magic or supernatural abilities, magical or supernatural beings, or simply 'what if' situations such as alternate universes. Fantasy can be further divided into alternate universe, bangsian, celtic, comic, contemporary, dark, folktale, heroic, high, historical, juvenile, medieval, myth, prehistoric, romantic, steampunk, superhero, sword and sorcery, urban, and wuxia
- Gothic - originally, this was just another way of saying 'horror,' but now the term is used to mean a story that combines romance and horror
- Historical Fiction - stories set in the past and describing the events and characters' lives. This category often overlaps the others, so that you have historical fantasy or historical romance.
- Horror - stories dealing with things that frighten us. Horror can be further divided into body-related (disease, mutation, mutilation, etc), holocaust, ghost stories, natural disaster, psychological thriller, and supernatural
- Humor or Comedy - stories that make us laugh. Comedy can be further divided into burlesque, comedy of manners, farce, parody, satire, and sentimental
- Medical - stories about the field of medicine and the people who work in it
- Mystery - stories that contain a crime, puzzle, or confusing situation. Mystery can be further divided into cozy, detective (amateur, hardboiled, private investigator), medical, police procedural, supernatural, and whodunit
- Poetry - rhythmic writing that deals with emotion. Poems do not have to rhyme, but they must be concise and emotional. Poetry can be broadly divided into epic, dramatic, lyric, narrative, and satirical. Specific poetry forms include acrostic, canzone, carmina figurata, cinquain, concrete, elegy, fixed verse, free verse, ghazal, haiku, jintishi, minnesang, murabba, ode, pantoum, quatrain, rondeau, ruba'i, sestina, sijo, song, sonnet, stev, tanka, and villanelle
- Political - stories about the world of politics and the people who work in it
- Realistic Fiction is a genre that tells made-up stories about things that could really happen about people who could really be real.
- Romance - stories about love. Romance can be broadly divided into catogory (series) and stand-alone (single title). Romance subgenres include contemporary, erotic, historical, inspirational, multi-cultural, paranormal, romantic suspense, romantic science fiction, and time travel
- Science-Fiction - 'what if' stories that are based on actual scientific fact. Science fiction must have some sort of logical science inherent to the story, or some sort of logical basis for what is going on. Science fiction can be broadly divided into hard (the science is the most important part of the story), soft (the characters are the most important part of the story) or social (the culture is the most important part of the story). Science fiction subgenres include alternate history, apocalyptic, biopunk, cyberpunk, dying planet, gothic, military, pulp, steampunk, time travel, space colonization, space opera, and urban
- Short Story - actually, this is not a genre but a length. A work of fiction is called a short story if it has less than 7500 words in it - short stories can be written in any genre.
- Stream of Consciousness - also called free-writing - unedited and spontaneous ramblings on any topic
- Tragedy - stories that make us cry
- War Fiction - stories about war and the military
- Western Fiction - stories about the American Old West. Westerns are usually adventure fiction that is specifically set in this period of US history, usually (but not always) dealing with the western states and Mexico.
Was this answer useful?
Thanks for the feedback!
Fiction is something that is feigned, invented, or imagined, especially as pertains to oral and written information, such as "the fiction of those golden apples" (Sir Walter R…aleigh). Fiction can also mean the act of inventing, such as "It was a mere fiction of the mind." Fiction is most often used to mean a body of literature which is invented or imagined, such as "That book is fiction." Click on the Related Question to see what the different types of fiction are. A novel or a book of Fairy Tales are examples of fictional books. Fiction is a class of literary and artistic works in which the content is the product of the author's or composer's imagination. Fiction is found in many works of literature and art including novels, short stories, drama, film, and television series. Fiction is mainly used for entertainment but may also serve an educational purpose in the depiction of the human condition.
Yes, I would say so, book stores and libraries have separate juvenile sections for children"s fare, which is a good thing. It is a genre in the sense of (type) like scin…ce-fiction, historical fiction, etc.
The novel is a modern-day genre based on the scandalous 18th-century British novel known as sensation fiction?
plausibility * interpolation * extrapolation * 'What if?' hypothetical deviations * alternate history
Historical fiction means that the setting is set in some historical environment and that the facts are kept as close to accurate as possible. When the facts are not kept accur…ate you stray into what is called alternate history.
Yes, animal fiction is an actual genre. It usually involves the story focusing on one or multiple animals in a story. They can be anthropomorphic or show some kind of huma…n qualities like being the actual narrator of the story.
Which of these is a good question to ask about a work of fiction when preparing to write a genre interpretation essay comparing and contrasting attitudes toward childhood?
What elements of the work communicate the narrator's attitude toward children
It is cast into the genres of Fiction Drama and Comedy.
Things that are imagined or made up.
A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens, fits into several genres. They include social criticism, novel, and fiction.
What is the first known piece of literature that could be considered to be of the science fiction genre?
The genre developed over time. Greeks had stories about supernatural beings, and in the second century, there were satires written about a hero who goes to the moon. In th…e 1500s, the age of exploration began, and science became more real. Kepler in 1634 imagined living on the moon. Francis Bacon published used fiction to explain his scientific theory in 1624. One of the most famous science fiction stories is Gulliver's Travels in 1726. So, as with many things science fiction, it evolved with people adding to it through the centuries. Another perspective: I consider the legends of Daedalus to be rather obvious examples of gadgetry science fiction. Also there are some stories dating back to the Bronze Age.
use of compression
I know that National University has a great program in Creative Writing that has many perks: it's on a rolling admission basis, so you apply throughout the year; each clas…s is structured in a monthly format; it accepts Genre-Fiction writers (Sic-Fi, Horror, Fantasy, etc); and you can choose 4 Genres to focus on (Fiction, Creative Non Fiction, Screenwriting, and Poetry).