What are the tax consequences of owning a master limited partnership?

Assuming you mean owning a share in a master limited partnership (MLP)as an investor, he short answer is: you get tax-deferred income on a quarterly basis, and pay income tax on your share of partnership income, which is usually far smaller than the distribution. The long anwer: the important thing about an MLP, or any partnership, is pass-through taxation. That is, an MLP does not pay an entity level tax the way a corporation does. Rather, the partners--that is you and the other unitholders--are allocated their proportionate shares of all tax items, net them out, and pay the tax on the resulting taxable income. So, you will be allocated a share of the partnership's income, its depreciation deductions, etc. All this is on paper--you don't actually receive an amount equal to your share of income. You do, however, receive a quarterly distribution, which is like a dividend, except that it is treated differently for tax purposes. Because the partnership doesn't pay a tax, it can pay out more of its income to you in case than a corporation typically can. Instead of being taxed currently, the distribution is subtracted from your basis in your partnership units. When you sell your units, your taxable gain is the difference between your sales price and your adjusted basis, so the tax on the distributions is collected then. While the distributions lower your basis, your share of taxable income and other things increase it, and so it takes longer than you might think to get your basis to zero. If you ever do get to zero, the distributions would become taxable. For more information, visit the website of the MLPs' trade association, the National Association of Publicly Traded Partnerships (http://www.naptp.org)...the answer is being submitted by its executive director.
+ 32 others found this useful
Thanks for the feedback!

Whom do you hope to interview on Undone with @AmandadeCadenet?

View Full Interview

Do partnerships pay income taxes?

No but they do file a 1065 income tax return and report each partners share of the taxable income to them on a schedule 1065 K-1 and each partner then reports the partner shar (MORE)

When a limited partnership is formed?

A limited partnership is formed upon the execution of an agreement between a limited partner (usually a financial contributor) and a general partner (responsible for the day-t (MORE)
In Uncategorized

What are Family Limited Partnerships used for?

Family Limited Partnerships are used to hand down wealth from generation to generation. You can learn more about Family Limited Partnerships online at the Wikipedia.
Thanks for the feedback!

When a MLP is an ETF?

If your focus on yield has you wondering if there is a better fixed income investment, you may already have noticed that the world of ETFs and ETNs has developed a product bas (MORE)

Forming a Limited Partnership Made Simple

A limited partnership is a business with a general partner, who is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the company, and one or more limited partners, who invest in th (MORE)

The True Cost of Foreclosure

Foreclosure is an unfortunate event that happens to more and more people every day. As the economy changes and the unemployment rate rises, many people are finding themselves (MORE)

What is a Partnership?

Before starting a business, one should determine how it will be organized. There are four ways to set up a new business. It can be a sole proprietorship, a corporation, a limi (MORE)

Can two limited companies form a partnership?

Company law Department has clarified the position regarding two companies entering into partnership in circular no. 1/81-CL-V dated 14th September 1981 A question has been rai (MORE)

Can a partnership own an S corporation?

  A partnership can not own an S corporation. It is not a person, and does not qualify as a Q-Sub trust. The references as to who can own a S corporation can be found at (MORE)

What tax form should you use in a limited partnership?

Form 1065 is U.S. Return of Partnership Income. Limited partnerships generally file Form 1065. Schedule K-1 (Partner's Share of Income, Deductions, Credits, etc.) is provided/ (MORE)

WHAT is true for a limited liability partnership?

Limited liability is a type of liability that cannot exceed the amount that has been invested in a partnership or limited liability company. Limited liability protects persona (MORE)