What happens if you eat a daffodil stem?

already exists.

Would you like to merge this question into it?

already exists as an alternate of this question.

Would you like to make it the primary and merge this question into it?

exists and is an alternate of .

All Narcissus (daffodils included) contain an alkaloid poison called lycorine. If ingested it will cause vomiting in humansas well as high blood pressure, headaches, blurred vision, irregular heartbeat and possibly death. Accidental ingestion is due to someone mistaking a daffodil bulb for an onion or shallot.

Another human response is the "daffodil itch" which as a common inflammation of the skin, especially in florist. This is caused by calcium oxalate in the sap, and will produce dryness, fissures, scalines and redening of the hands.

The ASPCA puts out a document which list the different animals and what is toxic to those particular animals. Daffodils are poisonous for all common household pets and livestock.

However, the good news is that there is a chemical called galantamine that daffodils produce. This has been used to combat Alzheimer's disease.
They are poisonous and can cause serious side effects; headaches nausea vomiting and diarrhea , there may be more that are just some known ones
4 people found this useful

Can hamsters eat daffodils?

The ASPCA puts out a list of what is toxic to specific animals.For a hamster, daffodils are very toxic. A wild animal willinheritly know what not to eat, but a hamster is a do

What happens when you eat the stem of a clover?

Nothing should happen if you eat the stem of a clover as long asyou do not eat them in large amounts. Most people who eat clovereat mainly the blossoms and leaves, but even th

What eats daffodils?

The daffodil has lots of critters that are after its tendertissues. Examples include the following: . Aphids - insects that suck the life juices out of the leaves& stem. .

What happens if a human eats a daffodil?

All Narcissus (daffodils included) contain an alkaloid poisoncalled lycorine. If ingested it will cause vomiting in humansaswell as high blood pressure, headaches, blurred vis

Can rabbits eat daffodils?

Daffodil bulbs are poison to rabbits...as is iceberg lettuce!Carrots are a treat (like a chocolate bar to you and me). Whileyour bunny will probably be fine if he or she ate a

What happens if you eat a daffodil?

If you eat the head of the flower, you should be fine. However, if you eat any other part of the plant, it contains its sap. Its sap is toxic, and you may experience abdominal

What eats daffodiles?

The flower is the least toxic (poisonous) area of the daffodilplant. Most animals leave the entire plant alone. Slugs are good atdestroying the flowers if the blooms are heavy

What will happen if you eat the poisonous part of a daffodil?

All parts of the daffodil are poisonous. The sap of a daffodil isvery bitter, so licking the stem usually doesn't cause anyproblems. Times for concern are when small children

Do cows eat daffodils?

They may, but they shouldn't because it is a poisonous plant, as toxic alkaloids can cause severe digestive upset and death.

What insects like to eat daffodils?

The daffodil has lots of critters that are after its tendertissues. Examples include the following: Aphids - insects that suck the life juices out of the leaves &stem. Bulb

Do sheep eat daffodils?

Sheep tend to not eat daffodils. Sheep don't eat plants of sedgefamily (Cyperaceae), Rush family (Juncaceae), Arrow-grass family(Juncaginaceae) and Rannoch-rush family (Scheuc

What are daffodil stems like?

The stem of the daffodil, upon which rests the flower, is thin,upright and green. It does not branch, except in some daffodilvarieties there will be multiple flowers with bran

What does a daffodil eat?

The daffodil gets its food directly and indirectly throughphotosynthesis. When the plant has leaves, it is making its foodthrough the interaction between chlorophyll in its le

What animals eat a daffodil flower?

The flower is the least toxic (poisonous) area of the daffodilplant. Most animals leave the entire plant alone. Slugs are good atdestroying the flowers if the blooms are heavy