What would you like to do?
What is gaining control of a missed shot in basketball called?
No, the thought being that the foul did not allow the player to have a fair attempt at making the shot.
Freddie Brown graduated from downtown Milwaukee's Lincoln High School in 1967, where other high schools gave him his nickname "Downtown Freddie" Brown, and he was often am…ongst the top free-point shooters in the league. Downtown Freddie Brown was captain of the SuperSonics' 78-79 NBA championship team. When the three point shot was adopted into the NBA in the 79-80 season, he led the league in 3 point shots, and during this time, it became a saying, referring to "downtown" as a far shot (3 point shot).
I'm from Chicago, and have heard this term for over 25 years. We called it a crip' when I was young because 'anybody' should be able to make one; even a crippled person. Hence… the term crip', and in no way a shot at those persons who are handicapped.
In a basketball game if the ball hits the backboard then goes into the basket what is this shot called?
Answer It is called a "bank" shot.
When a person is fouled while shooting in basketball do they get one free throw if the shot is missed?
No, if you are fouled and miss the shot, you get 2 free throws. If you are fouled and make the shot, you only get 1 free throw. If the foul is judged to be flagrant, then …after the two free throws the shooting team remains in possession and takes the ball out from the near sideline.
When one grabs the ball after a missed shot in basketball they have rebounded the ball.
so people don't think you made it by luck
Basketball player Chauncey Billups of the Detroit Pistons makes free throw shots 88 percent of the time Find the probability that he misses his first shot and makes the second?
10.56% The probability that he misses his first shot is 12%. The probability that he makes the second shot is 88%. The probability of missing the first shot and making the s…econd shot is 12% * 88%, or 0.12*0.88*100.
Answer Rebounding is one of the most important aspects of winning basketball games. Offensive rebounding gives your team extra chances, and free throw opport…unities, and frustrates the defense. Defensive rebounding is a key part of good defense in general, limiting the offense to just one shot. A good thought is "one shot and out". Defensive rebounding combined with a quick outlet pass can be an effective offensive weapon, getting the transition game and fast break going, for a lay-up at the other end. All good rebounders "have an attitude" that every rebound is theirs and are very aggressive on the boards. You’ve got to want it! Coaches love good rebounders and will reward them with more playing time. You may not be the best shooter or ball handler, but if you are a strong rebounder and defender, you will get to play. Good rebounders are important "role palyers". Defensive Rebounding The first important aspect of rebounding is getting inside position and "boxing out". The player who gets the inside position usually gets the rebound. The opponent may "reach over" and commit a foul. These "over the back" fouls can be very costly late in a game when teams are in the bonus free throw situation. Another key is always knowing where the ball is, so as soon as you see the shot being taken you get the inside position, and box out. It helps if teammates communicate and yell "shot!" when the shot goes up. There are three parts to a defensive rebound. Box Out Attack the ball, go get it! The outlet pass "Box Out!" All players must learn this skill, as much as any other skill in the game. Even the perimeter players (guards) must box out. Oftentimes, the missed three-point shot will result in a long rebound that our guards should get if they box-out properly. Also, we don’t want the opponent’s guards slipping inside for the inside rebound and put-back. When you box out, you must first make contact with the player you are guarding. Locate your man, get in front of him/her, pivot facing the basket, bend over, get wide with your feet and arms out, and put your backside into the offensive player, sealing him/her away from the hoop. Be aggressive, and don't let the offensive player push you under the basket. If you get too far under the basket, a taller opponent with long arms can simply outreach you for the ball. Keep your man away from the hoop. Keep your eye on the ball flight, and go get it! Attack The Ball! After you have sealed (boxed-out) the opponent, then go aggressively after the ball. Attack the ball, jumping high with both arms extended, grab it strongly with both hands, and "rip it down". Expect some physical contact. You’ve got to be strong and tough inside. Once you have the ball, protect it by pivoting away from the opponents, and "chin" it, by bringing the ball under your chin with elbows out. But you must not throw an elbow... a sure foul, often flagrant. The Outlet Pass Once you have the ball, think "fast break". Get a quick accurate outlet pass to a teammate to get the transition game going. If you hold onto the ball too long, the opponents may tie you up, and depending on the possession arrow, all your hard work is for nothing. So immediately pivot away from the defenders toward the sideline and find a teammate to pass to. Pivot on your outside foot. Wheel around and make a strong, sharp two-handed overhead outlet pass to your teammate on the wing. Only dribble if you have to, if you are in trouble and need to create some spacing to get the pass off. Pass as soon as you can safely hit your teammate. But don't make a bad forced pass, and lose possession. I hate it when one of my players makes a good box-out, gets the rebound, but then simply throws the ball away with a bad pass… all the good, hard work ruined by a bad pass. And those kind of turnovers can kill you, as the opponent may get a quick shot or lay-up after the steal. Team Rebounding Concepts The rebounding triangle With each shot, try to establish a triangle of players boxing out around the basket. Have one player of each side of the hoop and one in front, so that you have a triangle of players boxing out around the hoop. Don't get too far under the basket, where a taller player can simply reach over your head for the rebound...box them away from the basket. Weakside rebounding Another tip… realize that about 70% of missed shots from the corner or wing go long to the opposite side of the hoop. So make sure you have a weakside rebounder when the corner-wing shot goes up. Long rebounds Especially against teams that like to shoot the three-pointer (which when missed often results in a "long rebound"), whenever possible try to have two perimeter defenders (rebounders) get to the wing-elbow areas on each side to help pick off those long rebounds that go beyond the guys boxing out down low. Rebounding missed free-throws Not boxing out the offensive rebounders along the free-throw lane loses games... see "Boxing Out on a Free-Throw" below. Offensive Rebounding Offensive rebounding should be a very important part of your team offense in general. Nothing frustrates the opponent more, than their playing good aggressive defense, and you get one, two, or three offensive rebounds for more shots at the hoop, until you finally score. The keys are you've got to be aggressive and want the offensive rebound, and you must be quick on your feet and try to get inside position on the defender. This is a good way to pick up extra easy baskets. Some people call 'em "trash" baskets... I call 'em hard-working, smart, demoralizing baskets... "back breakers". Getting Position: The defender should already be between you and the hoop and trying to box you out. Make a fake one way, and quickly move your feet and slip around him/her on the other side. Once you are inside, now you box out. Another technique is to "swim" over the defender. If the defender does not have his/her arms up, put your forearm on top of his/hers, pinning it down (without grabbing or holding it), and then move your feet and step around and over the opponent's foot on that side and get inside rebounding position. Always know where the ball is and just assume that every shot will be missed. If the shot is coming from the corner, remember that 70% of misses will go long on the opposite side, so be ready on the weakside. Once you get the ball, be strong and power it right back up to the hoop, usually off the glass. There is a good chance you will get fouled, and a good chance for an "old fashioned" three pointer... a put back with a free throw. Expect contact, be strong, and try to finish the shot. Work hard the entire game and make your opponent work. You can actually wear the opponent down by the end of the game. When your team is behind, the two key elements in catching up and winning are playing great defense and rebounding. If you can stop the opponent from scoring, you give your offense a chance to catch up. Many championship games are decided by this tough inside play... not the outside jumpers. It's not always pretty under the hoop, but all good coaches know how important this aspect of the game really is. You will hear TV commentators talk about "points in the paint" as a key in many games. Most of them are retired, very successful coaches, and they know by experience how important. Boxing Out on a Free-Throw It's very important to secure the rebound after a missed free-throw, to avoid those extra chances for the opponent, and late in the game when you are behind and time is a factor, you can't let the opponent control the ball and the clock. The defensive rebounders in the lowest space along the lane must block-out the adjacent opponent in the middle space. The defender should get close to the offensive player. For example, if you are on the right side of the lane, have your top (left) foot as near as possible to the offensive player. Then when the ball hits the rim, immediately slide that foot over into the lane in front of the opponent. The stance should not be too wide, but wide enough for a strong base, so that the opponent cannot push you under the basket. If you are too wide, it will be more difficult to slide that leg over. Turn your body with the bottom (right) foot back off the lane line a little (never have both feet touching or parallel to the lane line). Most of your weight should be on the bottom (right) foot. Keep your arms up with your elbows shoulder height. Not only does this get you ready to rebound, but if you let your arms down, a savvy offensive player may put his arm on top of yours, pinning it down (and this is often not caught by the officials). Use your hands and arms also to feel which way the offensive player is going and block him/her out! The rebounders in the top two lane positions must communicate. One should make contact with and box-out the shooter. The other should go aggressively to the middle of the lane to get a longer rebound in the middle. These rebounders should position themselves in their space along the lane as close to the basket (and the middle offensive player) as possible. We also teach our players to "pinch" a strong offensive rebounder... the bottom rebounder steps in front from below, while our top rebounder on that same side steps in and "pinches" from the top. Then our opposite top rebounder boxes out the shooter. Players should communicate this when getting ready along the free-throw lane. Rebounding Out of a Zone Defense Rebounding out of a man-to-man defense is fairly straight forward, usually with clear-cut box-out assignments.