What would you like to do?
What is the plastic or rubber coverings on wires called?
8 people found this useful
Was this answer useful?
Thanks for the feedback!
The electrical copper wires are coated in rubber or plastic to ensure that no current is diverted away from where it is intended to go. As rubber and plastics make very good i…nsulators, as well as being cheap, easy to apply and flexible, it ensures that the electricity wont be conducted away from the circuit when in close proximity to another wire or any other conducting surface (or someones hands).
The plastic clear cover on a watch is called a protective film. It is used to keep the glass face plate from getting scratches or getting damaged or cracked. ADDED: The f…irst answer is referring to the protective film applied at the factory which protects the watchface "glass faceplate" lens. The name of the glass faceplate is called the "BEZEL." ANOTHER ANSWER: The glass that covers the watch face is also called a crystal.
Because plastic is a non-conductor and as such does not conduct electricity.
No, it is an insulator because it DOES NOT allow the flow of electrons.
Answer The rubber or plastic serves as electrical insulation (because they are poor conductors). Without insulation, the electricity running in a bare cable would leap over i…nto any other electrically conducting material it touched. With enough voltage, a human could be electrocuted. Electrical signals would disappear and get lost, causing equipment to fail. Answer So the conductor is insulated against possible metal contact & prevent a short if it's grounded. Answer All household electric wires are covered with plastic and rubber. This is called insulation. It keeps the potential of the wire from returning to ground (short circuit) before being used by the load. The higher the potential (voltage) the greater the insulation factor has to be. Bare wires in transmission towers also use insulation in the form of air. To use this method, engineered clearances have to be maintained between the conductors. Answer All electrical power wires are covered with an insulating material. This is to prevent the potential on the wire from going anywhere except to the load. Electrical connecting wires are covered with plastic to prevent the wire under the covering from shorting out against each other or shorting out to ground. The electrical terminology for this covering is the wire's "insulation". These days most electrical wires are covered with a flexible plastic (rubber starts with the sap from a rubber tree; plastic usually starts with a petroleum base). Answer The main purpose of the "cover" (insulation) is to keep the wire from shorting to other objects. The plastics used generally have a good mix of the following properties: It is flexible so the wire can be flexed and bent. It is inexpensive and easy to apply to the wire during manufacturing. It has resistance to chemicals and UV light. Sometimes it's also important for it to resist abrasion or temperature extremes, or submersion in water. You can get wire with different types of insulation depending on what you need it to withstand.
No, you can not because the plastic or rubber keeps the electrical charges from rubbing together.
Yes, thermoplastics are used.
You can get electrocuted because if you touch the wire when the electricity is going round the circuit you could get really hurt or killed. The plastic is called insulation
The (plastic) or rubber or whatever is covering a wire acts as an insulator to keep the metal parts (the conductor) of the wire from touching each other (which would cause a s…hort circuit and possibly a fire) and from touching you when energized (which could cause a nasty shock.)
Electrical wires are covered with rubber because rubber is an insulator.
It's there to protect you from getting electrocuted
Insulation. Several insulated wires with an outer jacket make up a cable.
yes Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC), and rubber are both good insulator's
It is because the rubber is an insulator.people don't get electric shocks that's why wires are covered with the rubber
First you have to use a wrie striping tool that you can purchase for any hardware store lowies home depot ace then you can strip the ruber from the wire & connect it to the de…vice you want to connect
No, the covering on the wire is insulation. This insulation is used to isolate the wire from any grounding medium, this includes a person. It is not a good idea to go around t…ouching wires as there may be a nick in the insulation. If the nick goes all the way through to the conductor, and you touch that specific spot and you are grounded you will get a shock as you become part of the conductor.