What would you like to do?
Why is 13 an unlucky number?
There are a few explanations of just why 13 has developed the reputation for being unlucky:
In some traditions, however, thirteen is actually a lucky number:
- In Christianity, the Last Supper had thirteen attendants, during which Jesus Christ revealed that one of the guests would betray him. Legend tells that afterward one of the Apostles, Judas Iscariot, did so and turned Jesus over to the Romans. This led to the crucifixion of Jesus. It is also claimed that Judas sat at the thirteenth place at the Last Supper's table. As a result of this betrayal, the number 13 has maintained a bad reputation and has a superstitious characteristic in Christian culture.
- Bearing some similarity to the Christian tradition, in Norse lore, a banquet of twelve deities was interrupted by the evil god Loki, making thirteen the number of gods present when the nigh-immortal god Balder was killed by an arrow made from mistletoe (his only weakness). His death marked the beginning of Ragnarok, the end of everything.
- Thirteen is the number of circles used in Kaballah's Metatron's Cube. Although this glyph was typically used as a protective ward against demons and evil, its use in alchemy and magic may have led to a darker association with the form, much as a pentagram or pentacle has.
- In Meso-American divination, a trecena is a 13-day period used in pre-Columbian Meso-American calendars to mark the occurrence of important cycles of fortune/misfortune.
- The ancient Persians, assigning the twelve constellations of the Zodiac to the months of the year, believed that each sign ruled over Earth for a millennium. After the passing of this thirteenth era, chaos would ensue. The Persian tradition of Sizdah Bedar refers to this belief, in which people leave their houses to avoid bad luck on the thirteenth day of the Persian Calendar.
- The foiled Gunpowder Plot that threatened 17th Century England's government consisted of thirteen original conspirators.
- Apollo 13 was the only unsuccessful mission by the United States of America's NASA program to land a mission on the moon, although fortunately all of the craft's crew returned to Earth safely.
- Traditionally thirteen is reported as the number of steps leading up to a gallows.
- In numerology, twelve is considered the number of completeness and thus thirteen was seen as disturbing that balance,
- Witches were claimed to gather in groups (a coven) of twelve and during such ceremonies, the devil would appear as the thirteenth attendee.
- On Friday, 13 October 1307, Philip IV of France ordered the arrest of the (Christian) Knights Templar and seizure of all of their assets based on accusations of various forms of heresy. Some were later tortured and then burned at the stake. This is commonly believed to serve as the origin for the observance of Friday the 13th as an unlucky day, however, no record of the date's importance as a superstitious holiday is believed to exist before the 19th century.
- Friday the 13th is also theorized to originate from the claim that Jesus Christ was crucified on a Friday.
In some traditions, however, thirteen is actually a lucky number:
- In Judaism, thirteen is the age at which a boy achieves Bar Mitzvah.
- Likewise in Judaism, the Torah states that God has 13 Attributes of Mercy (also shared in some Christian traditions).
- To Sikhs, thirteen is a special number because of the legend of Guru Nanak Dev.
- The thirteenth day following a death is the day on which a memorial feast is held for the peace of the departed soul in Hinduism.
- Thirteen has special importance in the United States because it was founded with the thirteen original colonies and can be found used in a number of patriotic themes and articles, such as The Great Seal of the United States.
- The thirteen lunar cycles led to widespread belief in the number's importance in pagan cultures, one which diminished as Christianity spread and began to dismantle, discredit or assimilate pagan traditions. Or that the Chinese and Egyptians counted 2 feet and 5 fingers and they thought the next number will be unlucky
Was this answer useful?
Thanks for the feedback!
A witches coven consists of 13 members Tarot Card number 13 is the Death Card, depicting the Grim Reaper Hotels rarely have a room number 13 The driver of Princess Diana hit p…illar 13 at Place de l'Alma, Paris, France which unfortunately resulted in her death. 13 is the number of people at the Last Supper, with the 13th guest at the table being the traitor, Judas. hope it helps!:)
There are many theories on why people believe the number 13 is unlucky, but none of them have been proven likely. Many people also feel that the number 13 is lucky.
13 is really only considered unlucky because a mass group of people deemed it as such several thousand years ago during the height of the Greek empire. Most of our current soc…iety is based on Greek culture and the Greeks had 12 as their lucky number. So many people had 12 as their lucky number, hence anything over 12 was considered bad luck. Indeed, many cultures identified 12 as lucky, the same way we deem 7 as lucky. Why would you want 13 of anything when 12 is such a perfect number? This is shown in many mythologies, such as that Hercules completed 12 labors. The first clocks were based on the idea that there was 12 hours of day and 12 hours of night. And in Norse mythology, 12 Gods were invited into Valhalla, the Hall of the Gods, but Loki snuck in and killed Baldur using Mistletoe, Loki being the uninvited 13th Guest. There have historically been some instances of bad luck associated with the number 13, such as Apollo 13 or the Last Supper having 13 guests and indeed some people do believe as such that 13 is unlucky. But often, I seriously think that 13 gets a bad rap. People are more prone to blame something if the number 13 was somehow involved. Like if someone breaks their leg on the 13th floor of a building, they'll say "This is proof that 13 is bad luck" but if they break their leg on the 21st floor, they'll say "OWW! This was my terrible luck".
The number 3 is widely accepted in western civilization as unlucky. 111 is a set of three numbers that add up to the number 3.
The number four (4) is a very unlucky number because the pronounciation for it sounds very similar to 'death.' In fact, in pinyin, they have the same lettering. Four is 'si' a…nd death is also 'si.' The number twelve (12) has also been mentioned as an unlucky number by the previous person who answered this question. The number eight (8), however, is considered a very lucky number because its pronounciation is similar to 'prosperity.' Eight is 'ba' and prosperity is 'fa.' Six (6), is also considered a lucky number
No. Though a person born as an eight (their birthdate will add up to a single digit of 8) will be slow to accomplish what they desire and may feel as though they have bad …luck, in the long run they actually end up happier and "luckier" then others.
Some people wrongly think it is. It's not since it is a myth that is believed by many people.
There is no Scriptural support. This is a development/superstition of men in many cultures.
the number 12 is a sign of completeness, 12 greek gods, 12 apostles, 12 months, 12 zodiak signs, etc. so 13 is a number that represents irregularity
because 12 was thought to be the perfect number in anchint Greece so naturaly the next number would seem realy bad
Nothing is mentioned but as there were 13 people in the New Testament (12 disciples and Jesus) it is considered unlucky.In the Exodus in the Old Testament the Jews left Egypt …on the Passover (or Nisan 14 on the Jewish calendar) when all the first-born of the Egyptians died the previous night ( ie Nisan 13), so for the Egyptians "13" was definitely unlucky.
no. in china and japan the unlucky number is 4 because it sounds like the dead
Three is not coincided to be a bad number in fact its in the same categories as the number 7 if not supersede it ... There are many things that have the number three in it tha…t people hold dear like Earth is the 3rd planet , the Christan's God and the the Holy Trinity in baseball you have three strikes a street light has three lights and on and on the list can go ...
There is no actual way to prove 13 is an unlucky number. It's just by the storys of 13. You could just wait till Friday the thirteenth. That's the day when Jaque De Molay, the… Grand Master of the Templar Knights, was supposedly burned at the stake by the Pope and French King Phillip. It is supposedly when Jaque comes back from the underworld and terrorizes us humans.