What would you like to do?
There are a few explanations of just why 13 has developed the reputation for being unlucky:
In some traditions, however, thirteen is actually a lucky number:
- In Christianity, the Last Supper had thirteen attendants, during which Jesus Christ revealed that one of the guests would betray him. Legend tells that afterward one of the Apostles, Judas Iscariot, did so and turned Jesus over to the Romans. This led to the crucifixion of Jesus. It is also claimed that Judas sat at the thirteenth place at the Last Supper's table. As a result of this betrayal, the number 13 has maintained a bad reputation and has a superstitious characteristic in Christian culture.
- Bearing some similarity to the Christian tradition, in Norse lore, a banquet of twelve deities was interrupted by the evil god Loki, making thirteen the number of gods present when the nigh-immortal god Balder was killed by an arrow made from mistletoe (his only weakness). His death marked the beginning of Ragnarok, the end of everything.
- Thirteen is the number of circles used in Kaballah's Metatron's Cube. Although this glyph was typically used as a protective ward against demons and evil, its use in alchemy and magic may have led to a darker association with the form, much as a pentagram or pentacle has.
- In Meso-American divination, a trecena is a 13-day period used in pre-Columbian Meso-American calendars to mark the occurrence of important cycles of fortune/misfortune.
- The ancient Persians, assigning the twelve constellations of the Zodiac to the months of the year, believed that each sign ruled over Earth for a millennium. After the passing of this thirteenth era, chaos would ensue. The Persian tradition of Sizdah Bedar refers to this belief, in which people leave their houses to avoid bad luck on the thirteenth day of the Persian Calendar.
- The foiled Gunpowder Plot that threatened 17th Century England's government consisted of thirteen original conspirators.
- Apollo 13 was the only unsuccessful mission by the United States of America's NASA program to land a mission on the moon, although fortunately all of the craft's crew returned to Earth safely.
- Traditionally thirteen is reported as the number of steps leading up to a gallows.
- In numerology, twelve is considered the number of completeness and thus thirteen was seen as disturbing that balance,
- Witches were claimed to gather in groups (a coven) of twelve and during such ceremonies, the devil would appear as the thirteenth attendee.
- On Friday, 13 October 1307, Philip IV of France ordered the arrest of the (Christian) Knights Templar and seizure of all of their assets based on accusations of various forms of heresy. Some were later tortured and then burned at the stake. This is commonly believed to serve as the origin for the observance of Friday the 13th as an unlucky day, however, no record of the date's importance as a superstitious holiday is believed to exist before the 19th century.
- Friday the 13th is also theorized to originate from the claim that Jesus Christ was crucified on a Friday.
In some traditions, however, thirteen is actually a lucky number:
- In Judaism, thirteen is the age at which a boy achieves Bar Mitzvah.
- Likewise in Judaism, the Torah states that God has 13 Attributes of Mercy (also shared in some Christian traditions).
- To Sikhs, thirteen is a special number because of the legend of Guru Nanak Dev.
- The thirteenth day following a death is the day on which a memorial feast is held for the peace of the departed soul in Hinduism.
- Thirteen has special importance in the United States because it was founded with the thirteen original colonies and can be found used in a number of patriotic themes and articles, such as The Great Seal of the United States.
- The thirteen lunar cycles led to widespread belief in the number's importance in pagan cultures, one which diminished as Christianity spread and began to dismantle, discredit or assimilate pagan traditions. Or that the Chinese and Egyptians counted 2 feet and 5 fingers and they thought the next number will be unlucky
46 people found this useful
Was this answer useful?
Thanks for the feedback!
A witches coven consists of 13 members Tarot Card number 13 is the Death Card, depicting the Grim Reaper Hotels rarely have a room number 13 The driver of Princess Diana hit p…illar 13 at Place de l'Alma, Paris, France which unfortunately resulted in her death. 13 is the number of people at the Last Supper, with the 13th guest at the table being the traitor, Judas. hope it helps!:)
The number 13 is considered unlucky for a variety of reasons. One of the most prominent is that Judas was the 13th person at the Last Supper and betrayed Jesus. Another th…eory is that when there were 13 full moons in a year, it upset the regular arrangement of the calendar that year.
There are many theories on why people believe the number 13 is unlucky, but none of them have been proven likely. Many people also feel that the number 13 is lucky.
Not for me, and logically it should have no effect on anything
yes. i think so.
the number 13 is unlucky because there were 13 steps to the gaols (the haging rope)
Unlucky in most cultures. However in Judaism 13 is actually considered a lucky number. The age when a boy becomes a man.
Determining if the number 13 is lucky or unlucky depends on the culture. In America, the number 13 is seen as unlucky.
the number 12 is a sign of completeness, 12 greek gods, 12 apostles, 12 months, 12 zodiak signs, etc. so 13 is a number that represents irregularity
One possible explanation concerns the Last Supper, where there were 13 people sitting at the same table. One of them was a traitor, several died - so that is how the superstit…ion might have been born.
no. in china and japan the unlucky number is 4 because it sounds like the dead
There is no actual way to prove 13 is an unlucky number. It's just by the storys of 13. You could just wait till Friday the thirteenth. That's the day when Jaque De Molay, the… Grand Master of the Templar Knights, was supposedly burned at the stake by the Pope and French King Phillip. It is supposedly when Jaque comes back from the underworld and terrorizes us humans.
It is human tendency to search for cause when a penny is lost. But when gained the reason is attributed to Good fortune or Good luck. This is how 13 has become a victim. Recen…tly Mamata Banergy (trinimul congress leader) won the elections with sweeping majority in calcutta (India) with 13 as a lucky number. all the events fell on 13 only.
13 is an unlucky number. They made the movie 'Friday the 13th' based on Jason. So they decided to call the movie "Friday the 13th" because friday the 13th is supposed to be a …day full of bad luck. So friday the 13th was the perfect title for the movie.
No number is more or less lucky than any other. It is a matter of superstition.
The number 13 is considered an unlucky number in some countries.The end of the Mayan calendar's 13th Baktun was superstitiouslyfeared as a harbinger of the apocalyptic …2012 phenomenon. Fear ofthe number 13 has a specificallyrecognized phobia, Triskaidekaphobia, a word coined in 1911.