Why was Michelle Obama disbarred?
- She was not disbarred. However, according to the Attorney Registration & Disciplinary Commission (ARDC) of the Supreme Court of Illinois, Mrs. Obama 'is on court ordered inactive status'. We don't know why the court ordered her to inactive status. See the M.O. IARDC link below.
- Yes, essentially Michelle Obama was disbarred. The Supreme Court of Illinois stated that she is ineligible to practice law. Due to her being unable to practice law in the State of Illinois, she is ineligible to pass the bar in any other state or to get reciprocity. She is effectively disbarred. Otherwise she would be sanctioned and allowed to return to practice.
- The above is actually a half-true answer. If she were in fact disbarred, then yes, she would not be able to get a license to practice elsewhere in the country. However, to then equate her circumstances to "disbarred" is recklessly inaccurate, and ill informed of the process of attorney discipline.
- Her status is "Voluntarily inactive and not authorized to practice law", which is far from disbarred. It also states "public record of discipline-none" (disbarment is public discipline), and "pending proceedings-none" Don't let the "not authorized to practice law" fool you. "Voluntarily inactive" simply means she has let her license expire, and thus, "not authorized to practice law". Why? There are many reasons attorneys allow their license to expire. Retired. Moved to another state (as she did) and did not wish to renew license in the past state. Personal hiatus, such as concentrating on raising a family (as she has). Career change. Death. It could also mean someone was possibly facing some form of discipline (even disbarment), and retired in lieu of discipline. Her reason(s) I do not know. "Voluntarily inactive" is the key phrase. Voluntary means she has chosen to be inactive, disbar means it was chosen for her. Big difference. If she were disbarred, it would likely say disbarred. I happen to disbar attorneys for a living, so I'm not exactly in the dark on the subject. Without much to go on, except what her status reads, I am of the conclusion she simply chose to not renew her license. Certainly not disbarred.
- She was "court-ordered to be placed voluntarily inactive." Big difference from just plain ole "voluntarily inactive." Don't confuse the verbiage by protecting her rear end. She doesn't deserve it. Court-ordered is not good. She either was involved in fraud, manipulation of evidence, lying (she is Barack are good at that), contempt of court, unethical activity or illegal activity. I suspect knowing her low character, it is one of them. She and Barack both are of poor quality and low character. They are both embarrassments to this country. <Supv. Note: Inflammatory content referring to the previous author's lack of diligence was deleted.>
- Here is the pertinent excerpt from the Attorney Registration & Disciplinary Commission ARDC of the Illinois Supreme Court:
"E. Supreme Court - Non-Disciplinary Action
In addition to activity in disciplinary cases, the Supreme Court entertains pleadings in non-disciplinary matters that affect an attorney's status. Chart 17 reflects the orders entered in such cases during 2000. With the amendments to Rules 756 and 770, adding an inactive status registration category and deleting Rule 770 court-ordered inactive status, effective beginning with the 2000 registration year, transfers to inactive status are now accomplished without Court order, and, therefore, are no longer reflected in Chart 17. As was true in 1999 when the rule amendments were announced, many lawyers who had transferred to inactive status under Rule 770 petitioned to return to active status under Rule 759, with the result that the number of petitions filed under Rule 759 was significantly higher for 1999 and 2000 than in past years. The transition stage will end during 2001, and there should be a significant drop-off in Rule 759 filings in future years. "
This is a verbatim quote from the ARDC Website, found at: the ARDC Quote link, below.
1) According to the ARDC, ALL lawyers who requested inactive status prior to 2000 had to obtain a court order in order to receive it.
2) There are NO disciplinary actions against Michelle Obama.
3) Her license is listed as "VOLUNTARILY [emphasis is mine] inactive."
In other words, before 2000, any lawyer who wanted to go on VOLUNTARY inactive status had to get a court order to do so. Therefore, ALL lawyers who voluntarily became inactive - did so via COURT ORDER. There were NO disciplinary actions against Mrs. Obama. She is eligible to return to active status at any time by paying her fees and completing the continuing education required of all lawyers.
So, the ARDC's site indicates that her VOLUNTARILY inactive status came at HER request and was granted by a court order, as was ROUTINE before 2000.
NOTHING on their site says or implies that there was a disciplinary aspect to it.
Michelle Obama is an attorney, a wife, a mother, and the forty-fourth First Lady of the USA. She is also the first African-American First Lady. Mrs. Obama is an active volunte…er, who advocates for military families and she also has been leading the battle against childhood obesity, by encouraging healthy eating and exercise for kids. (MORE)
Natasha Obama was born on June 10, 2001. She is 10 years old. The family's friend Dr. Anita Blanchard delivered both of the Obama's children at the university of Chicago Medic…al Center. (MORE)
No, this is an internet myth. Both Barack and Michelle were practicing attorneys in Chicago, but when Barack began his political career, gradually he phased out his practice t…o focus on politics. His wife phased hers out and went to work for a non-profit organization; later, she decided to concentrate on raising their daughters and helping her husband with his political career. So, they voluntarily put their law licenses on "inactive" (expired) status. But since both of them left the legal field in good standing, they could resume the practice of law whenever they want to renew their licenses. And no, neither was disbarred. (MORE)
Do you prefer to write plays or novels?View Full Interview
Barack Obama's political background story is a unique one. Having been raised in childhood by a single mother and by his grandparents, he rose from humble beginnings to become… the 44th president of the United States. After attending Harvard, earning a law degree and teaching constitutional law for several years (MORE)
Since Barak Obama took office, he and his administration have established many economic policies. Not all of them have been popular with the American people, but Obama has don…e what he thinks is necessary to stimulate the economy and help middle and lower-class people in the process. Love him or (MORE)
President Barack Obama is one of the most public figures on the globe today. His historic presidency has been captured on multiple forms of media, including pics, from preside…ntial campaigns to military campaigns. You can definitely find online pics of Barack Obama in large quantities if you follow the right (MORE)
No, not at all. President Obama was a licensed attorney in Illinois. When he decided to pursue a full-time political career, he requested that his law license be placed on "in…active" status, which is a standard procedure when someone is no longer going to be an active attorney. Since he left the legal profession in good standing, he is free to renew his license and practice law again, if he decides to do so. (MORE)
Barrack Obama got married to Michelle Obama because he thought she was a beautiful young woman when he met her at this place. They married each other because they loved each o…ther. (MORE)