The Who, the What and the Where of the Spring ‘13 AnswerThon
What: The AnswerThon is a two-day Answers.com contest, rewarding the individuals who answer the most unanswered questions in a two-day period. During the AnswerThon, participants answer as many questions as they can over 48 hours, simultaneously spreading knowledge and winning prizes!
Only answers that are posted within this timeframe and in accordance with the contest rules will be counted as part of the contest. Be sure to read the rules (listed below) before you begin. And of course, bots are not eligible.
Who: YOU. As long as you officially register for the AnswerThon contest, you’re totally invited. But you have to register for the AnswerThon - otherwise, you’ll be left out in the cold…and it’s freezing out there.
Where: Any category, any unanswered question on Answers.com!
When: Saturday, April 20, 2013 at 12:00 am EST - Sunday, April 21, 2013 at 11:59 pm EST.
So What Can I Win??
Over $2000 in prizes will be awarded to 28 AnswerThon winners, including 5 lucky RANDOM participants! We are awarding BONUSES if an AnswerThon winner is registered on Answers.com through a Facebook connected account!**
One 1st place winner will win a $200 Amazon eGift card ($100 bonus if the winner is Facebook connected!)
Two 2nd place winners (1 Supervisor, 1 Contributor) will win a $150 Amazon eGift card ($50 bonus if the winner is Facebook connected!)
Six 3rd place winners (3 Supervisors, 3 Contributors) will win a $100 Amazon eGift card ($25 bonus if the winner is Facebook connected!)
Four 4th place winners (2 Supervisors, 2 Contributors) will win a $50 Amazon eGift card ($25 bonus if the winner is Facebook connected!)
Five random registrants will win a $25 Amazon eGift card if they answer 10 or more questions ($25 bonus if the winner is Facebook connected!)
Ten runner-ups will receive awesome Answers.com merchandise!
All winners receive profile “AnswerThon Winner” badges and widgets for their individual websites and blogs!
**To convert your current account to a Facebook connected account, click on “My Settings” and select “Connect Facebook to your Answers.com account.” To qualify for the Facebook connect bonus, users must participate in the AnswerThon contest with a Facebook connected account.
Got Any Helpful Tips To Be a Frontrunner?
You bet we do!
- Answer questions in a category in which you’re passionate!
- What’s your favorite movie or book series?
- What’s your favorite sporting event?
- Where have you traveled and can share your tips?
- Are you a dog lover, foodie, photographer, shopaholic, bicycle fanatic, or craft extraordinaire?
- Answer questions in a category in which you are knowledgeable!
- Are you loyal to a particular brand (for example, do you love your Subaru Outback or iPad), and are experienced with that product?
- Are you a history buff, techie, legal expert, or personal finance guru?
- Have you worked at Best Buy, Starbucks, or Walmart, and can share your knowledge of the store?
- Get your friends & colleagues involved! Have virtual gatherings over the weekend, cheer each other on, and help each other out. Have your own mini-competitions!
Rules and Regulations
- Each contest participant must (i) be a registered member of Answers.com® and (ii) sign up for the AnswerThon contest. Members must be logged in to the site when they post their answers during the event in order to qualify for participation and recognition.
- In order to qualify for the Facebook Connect Bonus, contest participants must (i) be a registered member of Answers.com® through Facebook connect, (ii) sign up for the AnswerThon contest, (iii) participate via their FB connected account, and (iv) win one of the top prizes, or be randomly chosen as one of the 5 random prizes.
- In order to qualify for one of the 5 random prizes, each contest participant must (i) be a registered member of Answers.com®, (ii) sign up for the AnswerThon contest, and (iii) contribute at least ten (10) answers that meet contest guidelines.
- For an answer to count towards the goal, it must be at least TWO (2) sentences long and represent an honest, best effort to directly answer the question. Sentences of one, two or three words will be disqualified. Sentences must be clear English and use acceptable grammar and spelling. Irrelevant comments (i.e. “Good luck” or “Hope this helps”) will also be omitted, and signatures are not allowed. Answers posted using batch tools (including bots) are not eligible to be counted towards the contest. If 2 or more people finish with the same number of answers, the judges will decide the order of those contestants based on the quality of the answers provided in the opinion of the judges.
- All standard Answers.com® rules apply, including the prohibition of cutting and directly pasting information or plagiarizing from this or other sites or using any infringing material whatsoever (see the full Plagiarism Policy. You can research and use snippets of content you find, but the answer must be sufficiently original to be called your own.
- An answer must address an EXISTING unanswered question (participants are NOT allowed to ask and answer their own questions during the contest; these question-answer pairs will be disqualified). If you find a completely incorrect existing answer you can delete it first, save, and then answer the now unanswered question. Deleting a valid or short answer and rewriting will not count toward your total.
- Participants’ answers that are reverted and/or removed will NOT be counted in the AnswerThon.
- The winners’ answers will be reviewed for compliance by a panel of judges comprised of Answers Corporation staff. Judges’ decisions are final and binding.
- Participants must be 13 years of age or older in order to compete in the contest. Employees, consultants or Board members of Answers Corporation and of affiliated companies, and their immediate family members, are not eligible to enter the contest. Volunteer supervisors may participate.
- Winners will be contacted via their Answers.com® Message board and/or e-mail within 7 days of contest close. Winners will be listed on Answers.com and the The World of Answers Blog, and may also be published in our newsletters and a press release. Upon notification, winners will have 5 days to respond in order to claim their prize. Failure to respond via e-mail means that the winner has forfeited his/her prize and the judges may award it to another qualified participant.
- Winners may not request substitutions of prize winnings. All winners are responsible for any and all taxes and/or fees associated with the prizes.
- Answers Corporation will NOT gross up any prize amounts to cover possible taxes. Winner will be responsible for any local, state and/or Federal taxes conferred upon any prize amount, as well as any other incidentals or costs associated with claiming the prize.
- To the extent permitted by law, the rights to litigate, to seek injunctive relief or to any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resulting from or in connection with this Contest are hereby excluded, and you expressly waive any and all such rights.
- TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, YOU INDEMNIFY AND AGREE TO KEEP INDEMNIFIED ANSWERS CORPORATION AND ITS AFFILIATE COMPANIES AT ALL TIMES FROM AND AGAINST ANY LIABILITY, CLAIMS, DEMANDS, LOSSES, DAMAGES, COSTS AND EXPENSES RESULTING FROM ANY ACT, DEFAULT OR OMISSION BY YOU AND/OR A BREACH OF ANY OBLIGATION OF YOURS AS SET FORTH HEREIN. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, YOU INDEMNIFY AND AGREE TO KEEP INDEMNIFIED ANSWERS CORPORATION AND ITS AFFILIATE COMPANIES AT ALL TIMES FROM AND AGAINST ANY LIABILITY, CLAIMS, LOSSES, DAMAGES AND EXPENSES FOR OR IN RESPECT OF WHICH ANSWERS CORPORATION WILL OR MAY BECOME LIABLE BY REASON OF OR RELATED OR INCIDENTAL TO ANY ACT, DEFAULT OR OMISSION BY YOU UNDER THESE RULES INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION RESULTING FROM OR IN RELATION TO ANY BREACH, NON-OBSERVANCE, ACT OR OMISSION WHETHER NEGLIGENT OR OTHERWISE, PURSUANT TO THESE RULES BY YOU. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, YOU AGREE TO HOLD ANSWERS CORPORATION AND ITS AFFILIATE COMPANIES, THEIR RESPECTIVE DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES AND ASSIGNS HARMLESS FOR ANY INJURY OR DAMAGE CAUSED OR CLAIMED TO BE CAUSED BY PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST AND/OR USE OR ACCEPTANCE OF ANY PRIZE WON.
- Answers Corporation is not responsible for the policies, actions, or inactions of others, including your school or any other academic institution, that might prevent you from entering, participating, and/or claiming a prize in this contest.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: Answers Corporation and/or any affiliate company of Answers Corporation will not be liable for any warranty, costs, damages, injury or any other claim in whatever shape or form, incurred by any participant as a result of participating in the contest and/or as a result of usage of any prize. Answers Corporation and/or any affiliate company of Answers Corporation will not be liable for any losses arising out of, in connection with or resulting from the contest and its promotion by Answers Corporation. Answers Corporation reserves the right to alter any contest rules at any time and for whatever reason. If, for any reason, the contest is not capable of being conducted as described in these rules, Answers Corporation shall have the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest.