Auto Insurance
Auto Insurance Claims
Auto Accidents

A parked car that is not being driven is hit without insurance is the person who hit it responsible to pay for the damage?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2010-05-29 19:09:04
2010-05-29 19:09:04

Insurance is based on liability. In other words the person who is At Fault must pay for any damage caused. It makes no difference whether the at-fault driver crashes into an animal, a person, a parked car, a moving vehicle or even a wall or some street furniture.

The problem in most cases is (1) finding the person responsible and (2) recovering the money if they are not covered by insurance. Trying to prove it is the first step.

User Avatar

Related Questions

if car was driven by storage employee or anyone who is affliated with storage facility. Yes, it will be convered by their insurance. However, if the vehical was driven by a owner, his or her car insurance company will be responsible. best way to resolve this issue, contact your insurance agent or provider! asian623

Yes. The car dealer is responsible for insurance when cars are test driven. They only need to make certain the potential driver has a valid license.

In most states, anyone who drives a car needs to be listed on the insurance. If an accident were to occur then the husband could be liable for allowing the car to be driven without insurance.

Antique car insurance is usually based around replacement value and assumes the car will not be driven often except maybe to a car show. Regular car insurance is based around replacement value as well as potential damage and injury since it assumes the car will be driven regularly and have more potential for accidents rather then theft.

Probably not. Insurance companies will always look for ways to negate or lower the amount of claim damage they have to pay out as compensation. Driving the vehicle without a license (or a suspended one) would constitute a breech of the contract/ agreement and they would not pay. Although if the vehicle were stolen and then driven by an unlicensed party (and the incident reported to the authorities), they would have to pay.

I am not positive but I would guess that (saying your BF is at fault)1) Your insurance will not cover your car since it was driven by someone without a liceance2) Your BF's insurance is not valid since he does not have a drivers liceance (even though it is active)3) You will be personally responsible for the damages to your car and your BF will be responseable to any damages he has cause during the accident.

In a Non Permissive use accident, The insurer does not cover damage or injury to another party, However damage to the vehicle being driven will likely be covered the same as if the vehicle was stolen and damaged.

Insurance is purchased for the car, not the driver. Until the car has been insured it cannot be driven by anyone. Note that most states do allow a short grace period after you purchase a car in which it can be driven without insurance to let you purchase insurance and handle title/registration paperwork. This grace period does not apply to a car that you have either allowed the insurance to lapse or have removed its insurance. If you already have another car insured (which it appears you do) and wish to drive a car that is not currently insured, contact your insurance agent and have them temporarily transfer the policy to the other car.

If a person that is not covered by the insurance of the car being driven is given a ticket, the driver is responsible for the ticket. The insurance company that covers the car can tell the owner what affect it may or may not have for the policy owner.

Ordinarily, the lender will require, as part of the terms of the loan, that the vehicle be kept insured for physical damage, so as to protect the value of the collateral. Damage can be done even if the car is not driven, such as by fire, storm damage, or similar occurrences which could be covered by comprehensive coverage. The loan documents will generally provide that in the event insurance is not maintained, the lender can secure physical damage coverage on the vehicle to protect its own interest. The cost of that "single interest" coverage is usually disproportionately high and will be added to the loan balance.

When it's a self-driven car, you need license to get car insurance from any insurance company.

If the car is registered, meaning that it has license plates, it must have liability insurance. If you hace a loan, the bank probably requires insurance. If it is just sitting on private property without tags, no insurance needed.

Classic car insurance is for vintage vehicles of a certain age and driven by owners of a required age. These vehicles are usually driven for show purposes.

If the car is still going to be driven, then yes it does need insurance.

If the driveway is a straight line there shouldn't be a problem.Beware of turns,a single turn will damage your tractor big time.

Any motored vehicle to be driven in the state of FL streets need to be tagged. In order to be tagged it must be street legal including Horn, signals, lights and must not be over 49cc to be driven without insurance. It can be driven offroad without restrictions, but to be on the street the driver must be at least 16 years old, wear a helmet, and drive with NO passengers.

The first thing that they will do is to put forced place coverage on the vehicle. This is a very expensive type of insurance that only protects the banks interest and only pays the bank. The premiums are added to your account and you are responsible for paying for the insurance. This insurance only provides physical damage coverage and will not pay for damage to your property or anyone Else's. It does not provide liability and does not meet the state requirement to allow it to be driven on the street. The second thing they will do is to repossess the vehicle because you have violated the contract that you signed with the lender to keep the required coverage on the vehicle. Oh yes, and the cost of impounding and storing the vehicle after it has been repossessed will also be charged to your account.

The person who rented the car is responsible because they allowed the unauthorized driver to drive the car. Hertz would not be at all responsible.

If you OWN a car it can be insured.If it is to be driven it must be registered correctly for the insurance to be validI have an antique sports car that has not been driven or registered for two years, but it is insured.

Dirt bikes require insurance in order to be driven on the road. If you are just using it on your own personal property, insurance is not necessary. However, your home insurance will not cover the bike if it was stolen, damaged etc. Otherwise known as Physical Damage coverages. A good website for reference is Many of your questions & concerns will be answered.

If the car has an active registration, most companies will make you add it to your policy, since it could be driven. If you don't want to insure it, you can cancel the registration on it, but keep in mind that car insurance has different coverages that protect different things. For example, if your car is stolen and you don't have insurance, you won't get any money on it. The cost of insurance is generally calculated by the risk it covers. This means that if you're not driving the car much, there's not much chance it will cause damage, so the insurance should be pretty cheap for it. Use an independent insurance website to compare car insurance and see how much it will cost to insure a car you rarely drive.

No, and Never, Homeowners insurance does not provide coverage for a motor vehicle designed to be driven on public roads, not for property nor the liability, and not even if your roof fell on it.That's what auto insurance is for.When uninsured, the vehicle owner is taking the risk of an out of pocket loss, coverage can not be transferred to a vehicle from a home insurance policy.

Generally yes, her insurer should cover it, but ONLY in the instance that it was driven WITHOUT permission. You must make that clear, and your friend must admit to that as well. Her rates may be hiked.

Yes, however it would be foolish of any person to uninsure a vehicle they own while they know it's being driven. Not only can the owner of the vehicle be issued a citation if a driver of their vehicle is caught without insurance, but if the driver causes an accident and their is no insurance on the vehicle, the owner of the car can be held responsible for the damages caused.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.