Are onions healthy?
Yes, onions are very healthy.
- Contain vitamin C and quercetin which are antioxidants.
Quercetin reduces the incidence of precancerous lesions in the GIT
and therefore has some anti-cancer properties
- Contain chromium, a trace metal which improves the cells
reponse to insulin and therefore increases insulin's sensitivity,
increases HDL-cholesterol levels (good cholesterol) and lowers the
total cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- It also inhibits the breakdown (resorption) of bones and
therefore is useful for people with osteoporosis.
- Contain vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, B9, B12, E & K. Vitamin B6
helps reduce the risk for heart disease by lowering homocysteine
levels in the body (which result from eating meat)
- It also possesses anti-inflammatory and antibacterial