answersLogoWhite

0


Best Answer

According to the Mayo Clinic, poinsettia plants are less toxic than once believed. In most cases, poinsettia exposure causes only discomfort, including:

  • A mild, itchy rash. Skin contact with the sap of a poinsettia plant can cause a rash. If this happens, wash the affected area with soap and water. Apply a cool compress to ease itching.
  • A mild stomachache, vomiting or diarrhea. This can happen after eating part of a poinsettia plant. Severe signs and symptoms are unlikely. If you find a child eating a poinsettia plant, clear and rinse his or her mouth.
  • Eye irritation. If the sap of a poinsettia plant comes in contact with the eyes, they can become red and irritated. If this happens, flush the eyes with water.
  • Allergic reaction. Some people are more sensitive to poinsettia plants than are others. Reactions to poinsettia plants are more common among people who have latex Allergies, since latex and poinsettia plants share several proteins. Also, if you're allergic to avocados, bananas, chestnuts, kiwis and passion fruits you might have a greater chance of being allergic to poinsettia plants. In case of a severe reaction, seek prompt medical attention.
User Avatar

jkw8886

Lvl 11
โˆ™ 2021-11-29 19:42:36
This answer is:
User Avatar
Study guides
More answers
User Avatar

Wiki User

โˆ™ 2011-04-27 00:34:15

No, poinsettias (Euphorbia pulcherrima) are not poisonous.

Specifically, poinsettias have an irritating milky sap that flows when the plant is bruised. The sap contains latex, to which some people are allergic. It therefore is possible to have an allergic, but not fatal, reaction to poinsettias. Severe reactions include upset stomachs and diarrhea.

This answer is:
User Avatar

Add your answer:

Earn +20 pts
Q: Are poinsettias poisonous
Write your answer...
Submit
Still have questions?
magnify glass
imp
Related questions

Are poinsettias poisonous to dogs?

Yes


Are poinsettias poisonous to caterpillars?

No, poinsettias (Euphorbia pulcherrima) are not poisonous to caterpillars.Specifically, poinsettias are host plants to the Ello Sphinx moth (Erinnyis ello) caterpillar. The bright red colors that its modified leaves sport in December warn nature that it contains an irritating or poisonous substance within its body parts. Poinsettias are members of the Spurge family (Euphorbiaceae) of plants. Some spurge members are poisonous, others not. Poinsettias number among the family's irritating, non-poisonous members.


Are pointsettes poison to cats?

Yes, poinsettias are poisonous to cats.


Is the milk from a poinsettia poisonous if consumed?

Yes, poinsettias are poisionous


Are poinsettias poisonous to rabbits?

Not really, no, unless your rabbit munched its way through a LOT of plants. Poinsettias being poisonous to pets and kids is a fairly old urban myth.


Are holly berries more poisonous than poinsettias?

yes they are of coarse


Are poinsettias poisonous to animals?

Irritating rather than poisonous describes the general interaction between animals and poinsettias (Euphorbia pulcherrima).Specifically, the natural colors of poinsettias are green leaves, green and red bracts, and yellow flowers. Shades of orange and red tend to warn the rest of nature that the plant in question is irritating or poisonous. In the case of poinsettias, it is a question of a stomach irritant that may lead to vomiting or diarrhea.


Are poinsettias poinsonus?

The sap can be poisonous, it can also be used by indigenous peoples as a medicine.


Do raccoons eat poinsettias?

No, it is doubtful that a raccoon would eat a poinsettia which can be poisonous.


Are poinsettia plants posionious to animals?

Per the ASPCA poinsettias are not poisonous as we have often been led to believe. The ASPCA has found that it causes upset stomach and that seems to be the extent of it. http://thoughtsfurpaws.com/dogs/fact-or-fiction-are-poinsettias-poisonous/


What happens when dogs eat poinsettias?

Poinsettia plants are poisonous to animals and can kill a dog within a day's time.


Is holly poisonous to cats?

Yes, holly is poisonous to cats. It gives them intestinal problems or causes throwing up. Do not feed your pets holly. (Poinsettias are also toxic.)

People also asked