- Cramp-like pains at the beginning of a pregnancy are quite common. They can feel like sharp shooting pains on either side of the abdomen and can stretch down into the groin area. This sensation is due to the stretching of the ligaments in the pelvis that help keep a woman's womb stable. The ligaments are being stretched during early pregnancy because the uterus is growing and putting pressure on the muscles that surround it. This sensation is more pronounced with a first pregnancy.
- There are several things a woman can try in order to relieve the pain. Anything that helps her relax is good first step. Some women are helped by placing a heating pad on their abdomen, taking a warm bath or drinking a cup of hot tea. Heat tends to relax the muscles that are causing the pain. She might also try changing position, sitting down or lying down with her feet up. If cramps are accompanied by bleeding, fever, chills, or watery vaginal discharge a woman should immediately consult her doctor. Cramping in combination with other symptoms may be a sign of a more serious condition.
- Sharp pains (period-like cramps) are definitely normal and are one of the first signs of pregnancy. They hurt much more than normal cramps and occur right above the top of your legs. I would describe them as shooting pains that don't usually last but for a minute or so.
- I'm 16 and just found out two days ago that i was pregnant....i started having this sharp shooting pains. it feels like I'm cramping hard core. I've been told since it's my first pregnancy it's just stretching the womb.!!!!(;
- This does sound like pregnany but not necessarily a good one. You shouldn't bleed especially that much while pregnant. It could be signs of miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy as well. PLEASE Go to your doctor.
- Not that I know of and I've had two children. I am getting sharp pains and currently are on depot, but not sure what that pain is to date. If you are on the depot, you should not have gotten pregnant, and normally you do not bleed when you are pregnant. I have not had a period since I went on Depot 4 years ago.
- I too have had sharp abdomen pains and was worried about what was wrong. I have found out that it is a mixed subject. I have heard that it is a very common symptom and i have heard that it might be a tubal pregnancy. this of coarse got me even more worried. I sugest that if you are really worried about it to go see your doctor. but i don't think you need to stress too much about it, a tubal pregnancy is very rare, but if you need to put your mind at ease, a doctor's advice would help.
- You CAN get pregnant on depot, my sister had two children on depot. But because she was sick and was put on antibiotics. The antibiotics cancelled out her depot and now I have a beatiful niece and a beautiful nephew.
- That's odd, because I have been experiencing some sharp pains in my abdomen also. They are'NT really that painful but enough to notice them and that there is something definitely unusual going on! If anyone could expound more on this question would be great. We haven't really received any real answers yet! Anyone with experience, please comment!
- I have 3 children, ages 11, 9, and 3. With my first child the first time I noticed the sharp pain I was probably 3 months along and was laying back and sneezed and it hurt really bad for a few seconds so I learned quickly to change positions before I sneezed. With the other two pregnancies I noticed the sharp pains as well when I made sudden movements. I have started having these feelings again the last few days as well as some nausea that comes and goes. We were not trying for number 4 but I am thinking we may be getting a suprise, I was looking here to see if anyone else had had the same sharp pains. Just to update: I took a pregnancy test a few days after I wrote this and sure enough it was positive. So those sharp pains were exactly what I was thinking they were!
- I have had 3 children and I have had these sharp pains during early pregnancy with all 3. They are just above your legs, almost where your ovaries would be. It is kind of alarming because it is a sharp pain. However, don't be alarmed; it's from your uterus changing positions. The ligaments are stretching and that's what causes the sharp pains. The only time I've ever experienced those kinds of pains was when I was pregnant. Now I'm having them again. I'm pretty sure I'm pregnant with #4. Hope that puts your mind at ease.
- I am pregnant with my first and every night i am woken up with these sharp cramp like pains my doctor told me it is my uterus stretching and not to worry unless i was bleeding which i am not.
- I was kind of wondering the same thing about the sharp pains. About 3 days after I should have ovulated I had a sharp pain that lasted about 1 minute. It was in my lower abdomen and seemed to shoot downwards. Yesterday, which would have been 6 dpo I had a sharp pain that came and went for over an hour. Since then I have'NT felt any pain. I am wondering if this could mean I am pregnant.
- I have been sick lately, pneumonia, twice. I have been coughing a lot and having strange sensations in my abdomen. It really feels like a baby moving in there. My son is 14 months old, so I remember the feeling really well. This last bout of pneumonia, I have been having sharp pains in my stomach, usually on the left side, and when I press on it, I feel something like a baby rolling over, but only in that one spot. I have been having slightly irregular periods, due to a change in my birth control pill. I took a home pregnancy test and the result was negative. I'm really wondering what the heck is going on in there. Any ideas?
- I am having the same problem right now. I have not had a period since Aug 12/09 and I went to the doctor and took 4 Home Pregnancy Test and they were all negative. When would this pain start if I were pregnant? Would it be to early?
- I'm 16 and just found out two days ago that i was pregnant....i started having this sharp shooting pains. it feels like I'm cramping hard core. I've been told since it's my first pregnancy it's just stretching the womb.!!!!
- I have been having unprotected sex with my boyfriend and I think I may be pregnant. I have been experiencing some quick sharp pains recently and i've also exprienced some other pregnancy symptoms such as nausea, lower back pain, increased sense of smell, etc but Im confused because I've been getting my period (or at least I think its my period) and my period has been a little abnormal.... Can someone PLEASE HELP ME??!