Children and the Law
Emancipation and Ages for Moving Out
Body Piercing

Are you able to move out at age 17 in Michigan without parental permission and without emancipating yourself?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2005-09-21 16:39:21
2005-09-21 16:39:21

No, in the eyes of the law, you must be at least 18. If the parents choose to file a report of an absentee minor or "runaway" the juvenile authorities must intervene. The results of that can be many things, from being returned to the parental custody to being placed in a state facility or group home. One of the reasons for not allowing an underaged individual to arbirarily leave is, generally parents are legally and financially responsible for their children until they reach the state's age of majority. Which means a minor could drop out of school, hang out with the gang, perhaps get into "trouble", and the parents would could be held responsible even though they tried to prevent the situation. This is one reason parents should report juveniles who leave the home against parental wishes to the authorities. It is not uncommon for minor's parents to end up on the wrong end of a civil suit and find themselves in serious legal and financial difficulies. On the other side, many teens are mature enough to support themselves and conduct their own affairs responsibly, which is why some states have "early" emancipation laws.


Related Questions

Only with parental permission until you are 18. Then you can decide for yourself.

You have to be an adult so 18 unless you have parental permission or is emancipated by the court.

well you need to emancipate yourself from them, so you'd need a valid reason and proof, you'd most probs have to go to court. The other way to be emancipated is if your pregnant or you get married..but you'd need parental permission to do so..

Yes with parental permission, otherwise wait until your 16 to sign for it yourself.

No you are a ward of the state and the state has the final say until the state returns you to your parents or they release you to yourself either when you turn 18 or 21. * The minor would need parental permission and permission from the court that placed the minor in foster care.

Only with parental permission. Having a child does not emancipate you. Only regarding the baby and health decisions regarding yourself.

If the state you live in has an emancipation statute, you have to meet those requirements. Typically they include being able to take care of yourself financially and physically and have parental permission.

YES all you have to do is go through the legal process of emancipating yourself.

You would need a court order emancipating you, usually this would involve proving in court that your parents are unfit parents and that you are mature enough and capable of supporting yourself financially.

At 15, you are still a minor. You need parental permission to move out without being classified as a runaway. The fact that you have a child yourself does not change this. If you are employed and capable of supporting yourself, you could consider petitioning the court for emancipation.

15, with parental consent. 18, by yourself.

Without parental permission, or even with, the first step will be to consult with a local attorney. There are factors of your age, your economic situation, your schooling, your ability to support yourself, whether you have a place to live apart from your parents...etc.

Legally, any age from 11-16 can go with Full parental permission and full confirmation of a legal pick up at other airport, (under 11's can go when accompanied w/ an older responsible child)

There is no legal age requirement. It is left to parental discretion.

Without parental permission, 18 in most states. In some states you can get emancipated, which allows you to move out, but you have to show that you can support yourself. Many teens have found that there is no age requirement as evidenced by the fact that more than 25% of the homeless are under 18.

Yes you can but you have to have your parents permission. You can't get one by yourself

14 with parents permission, 18 by yourself.

No, in the state of Florida you have to be 17 years of age or older to live by yourself with parental consent.

You can ask the court to emancipate you without parental consent, but I don't know that they'll do it because Virginia

In general, parental rights are terminated either preparatory to an adoption, or after a trial in which it is determined that the parent is unfit. In any case, termination of parental rights does not, in itself, terminate child support.

If it is your fence you can injure yourself any way you like; if its not your fence then you'll have to get permission before you injure yourself.

You are not emancipated automatically when you are pregnant. You have to have parental permission. Being pregnant does not mean one has the ability to take care of yourself. You do have certain rights as to obtaining assistance for you and your child, but you are still the responsibility of your parents until you turn 18.

14 with parental consent 18 to have the right to do it yourself

You either have to be 16 with parental consent or 18 to get it by yourself.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.