Children and the Law
Child Support
Emancipation and Ages for Moving Out

At what age can parents force their unruly disrespectful abusive child who is a drug user out of the family home in Maryland?

User Avatar
Wiki User
January 19, 2007 6:42PM

Contact your local police department. "Tough love" is certainly appropriate in the situation you describe. The police may have some resources available for your son. Sometimes a "boot camp" type environment works well, other times they may need to get involved in a "Scared Straight" type program. Whatever you do, don't turn your back on this situation. He needs a reality check, and needs it now. Sorry to hear that you are having problems with the ones you love. It must be difficult. Remember that you certainly aren't doing him any favors by ignoring the behavior. What he is doing will assuredly result in his destruction. * The agency with jurisdiction to assist would be the Maryland Social Services Administration. Since the parents acknowledge that they are aware of the minor child using illegal substances, they should be extremely cautious involving law enforcement until they have been apprised of their own accountability status. The legal age of majority for the state is 18.