Branches of Christianity?
Catholic, Protestant, & Orthodox.
The number of branches is dependent on the fineness of detail
desired. The three main groups and some of their subdivisions
Eastern Christians or Eastern Orthodox
- Nestorians ("Church of the East")
- Monophysites ("Oriental Orthodox").
- Roman Catholic
- "Old Catholic Church" broke away in 1870, disagreeing with
- "Traditionalist Catholics" or "Tridentine Catholics" broke
after 1965, over reforms of the Second Vatican Council.
- "Progressive Catholics" broke since 1965, over changes not made
by Vatican II
Protestant Christians are subdivided into thousands of
NOTE: The Anglicans, or "Church of England," separated
from the Roman Catholic Church for non-t theological reasons; They
are similar to Catholics but do not acknowledge the Bishop of Rome
(the "Pope") as the spiritual leader