Emancipation and Ages for Moving Out
Age of Consent & Underage Relationships

Can a 15 year old petition the courts to not have to visit the noncustodial parent?

Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
Answered 2010-12-25 17:36:43

No, they have no standing for doing so.

User Avatar

Your Answer

Related Questions

The courts cannot force an absent parent to visit the child[ren].

I think so, however you will need the courts permission for the child to visit you and leave their home state.

Yes they can but it's up to the court to decide based on the crime etc. Prisoners have the right to petition for visitation.

Generally the noncustodial parent may move anywhere - within or outside the state where the children live. The court grants the noncustodial parent the right to visit the children but does not force the noncustodial parent to take advantage of that right. However, a court may require the noncustodial parent to provide the custodial parent with contact information and, where issues develop about the care or safety of the children, the court may require supervised visitation or at least that the noncustodial parent advise the custodial parent where the children will be.

A custodial parent is obligated to let the non-custodial visit the child if there is visitation schedule in place. If there is none, it is not illegal for the custodial parent to refuse visitation.

It depends on whether or not the custodial parent solicited a court order which would prohibit out of state visitation. If there is no legal prohibition, the 17 year old is free to visit the noncustodial parent out of state. It depends on whether or not the custodial parent solicited a court order which would prohibit out of state visitation. If there is no legal prohibition, the 17 year old is free to visit the noncustodial parent out of state.

at what age may am minor child refuse to visit with noncustodial parnet in pa?

A parent has visitation rights unless the Judge orders otherwise.If the offending parent gets arrested and convicted the custodial parent can file in court and POSSIBLY have the visitation rights revoked.

No. And it's the parents job to make sure the court order is followed.

Actually, no. The other parent should petition the court for a visitation order. Once an order is in place the custodial parent must honor it.

Children who are at an age of understanding, and able to make informed decisions for themselves (to a point) can choose to reduce or stop visitation. If possible, the custodial parent can petition the court to modify the custody and visitation with the request of the teenager, and the Judge may want to ask the teen some questions regarding their choice.

hello I am going through the same thing, my son is 16 years old and doesnt want to visit his dad because of his inconsistency of being involved in his life his father has just filed for visitation rights and I dont know whats going to happen. I hope the court listens to my sons wishes, even if he decides to visit only sometimes

It is at the age of 12 in NC not sure about other states. This may vary stat-to-state.

No you are not. It is the noncustodial parent's responsibility to make arrangements to visit the child. All this should be included in your custody papers.

18 or later if the court order is still in force. If the custody paperwork specifies visitation then disobeying is a crime.

Get StartedWhen a divorce decree awards custody of minor children to one parent, visitation rights are generally given to the noncustodial parent. Some courts also recognize that grandparents have visitation rights. The divorce decree often provides specific details regarding child visitation.This document allows either parent to advise the other parent of the arrangements for a child's visit. In addition to specifying the time and location of pickup and return of the children, this program permits the user to identify special activities involved with the visit that the other parent should know.

The courts cannot force an absent parent to visit the child[ren].

Yes, unless there are other arrangements mentioned in the visitation order. The non-custodial parent shouldn't expect the custodial parent to do the transporting. Taking your own parental responsibilities seriously is character building.

No, a child cannot be forced to visit a parent. If a compromise cannot be reached to everyone's satisfaction; either parent can petition the court to order counseling for all parties involved to find a solution.

If there's a court order, yes.Answer & ClarificationNo. A non-custodial parent cannot be forced to comply with a visitation order. Courts require custodial parents to comply with court ordered visitation. Courts do not have the ability to enforce visitation upon the non-custodialparent.

A 13 year old can go before a judge and tell them that they do not want to visit their non custodial parent anymore. A 13 year old is old enough to know if they want to continue a relationship with a parent.

Yes, if the courts have awarded both parents custody of a 13 year old child they they have to visit a parent on the days given by that court of law. If the child is being abused in any way they can let their parent know and refuse to visit the other parent or, they could complain to Child Aid or even a relative.

No. The custodial parent is required to obey the court ordered visitation schedule. If they do not the non-custodial parent can file a petition for contempt of a court order and that will cause problems for the custodial parent. The custodial parent must discuss with the child the reasons why they do not want to go on visits and try to define and address the problems. If the issues are serious the custodial parent can engage professional help and file a petition to modify the visitation order. They must provide compelling evidence to the court to support their petition and it will be up to the judge.

Copyright ยฉ 2021 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.