Asked in
Emancipation and Ages for Moving Out
New York

Can a 16-year-old move out of the father's home and in with the mother in New York if there is no custody agreement?


User Avatar
Wiki User
May 21, 2005 1:55PM

Yes, if there is no court order of custody in place, the child can reside with either parent. Either parent also has the right to petition the court to block or allow the action.