Special Education

Can a 17-year-old special education student transfer schools without parental consent once he has moved out of the home?



User Avatar
Wiki User

No, the 17-year-old is a minor and could not arbitrarily change schools without consent from his or her parents or the court. Likely not but, however exigency, special educucation may or may not imply a inablity, and a 17-year-old's a rights vary by state. What rights a 17-year-old are afforded are state dependent, what constitutes special needs may or may not factor, arbitrary, meaning of one's own free will without may vary, and exigent circumstances also determine restrictions, state laws may vay rights and federal law may not apply. However, if the child provided sufficient reason, (abuse, neglect, or consent) and absent emancipation, yes. States law varies and age may provide or deny, and each state may provide for situations, which may allow.