Can a Mexican citizen become a legal resident if he marries an American citizen in Mexico?

Do make sure that it is a legitimate ceremony and marriage certificate. But yes they can, as long as that American citizen is not a felon, is able to adequately support that spouse financially (affidavit of support) and when they come back to the U.S. gets down to the business of filing their spouse's paperwork.