answersLogoWhite

0


Best Answer
Copy

Certainly. This is why the US 2008 NEC requires "Tamper Resistant" receptacles to be installed. These receptacles attempt to prevent foreign objects being inserted into the slots. A normal plug will press into all slots at once, resulting in normal connection to the outlet. If a child attempts to put something into one slot, there is a guard blocking the slot.

Previous s:

If the child was grounded (i.e. with one finger in the "ground" prong of the outlet), he would be even more electrically conductive since part of his body is near ground voltage.

If the child is holding a metal key or a metallic screwdriver, most definitely yes.

Even the "neutral" side of the outlet is not necessarily at the same voltage as the earth the child is standing on. Children are even more at risk because they are more likely to have sweat or other conductive compounds on their hands to decrease their electrical resistance.

IMPORTANT!! It only take a tenth of an amp to cause death. A study of body resistances several years ago found resistances in some people so low that a mere 30 volts could cause 0.1 amp to go through the body. If you have children in the house, I recommend that you have outlet protectors inserted into the outlets.

The phrase "electrical shock hazard" means that there is a risk of electrical shock.

Residential electrical receptacles are by design inherently safe from the occasional paper clip, screwdriver, etc. poke-in from our average kids. Most homes built after 1984 in the US have 2 "blade" prongs and one "rounded" prong. Each prong has a specific function: the "blade" prongs provide the ability for current transfer, to a device, or to a person. Both of these blades must be touched simultaneously to power a device, or produce an electrical shock.

Additionally, touching the "line" blade and the "ground" (rounded) blade can also produce current transfer and hence an electrical shock. Of the line and neutral blades, the neutral blade can be identified as the larger of the two.

Homes built before 1984 typically do not have the ground (rounded) blade and the two straight blades are commonly the same size.

Troubleshooting electrical problems in one of these homes is best left to a licensed professional.

User Avatar

Wiki User

โˆ™ 2015-07-15 21:47:04
This answer is:
๐Ÿ™
0
๐Ÿคจ
0
๐Ÿ˜ฎ
0
๐Ÿ˜‚
0
User Avatar

Add your answer:

Earn +5 pts
Q: Can a child get a shock from putting a key or screwdriver into a wall outlet?
Write your answer...
Submit

Related Questions

What happens if an outlet is not grounded?

It is a potential shock hazard.


Will an electric dryer shock if it is plugged into an electric stove outlet?

You bet it will.


What is the Difference between ground and guarding?

In terms of electricity:Grounding is putting a conductor from the circuit directly to earth. Guarding is putting some cover or barriers to live electrical wire, outlet or any conductor that are exposed to prevent physical contact that may result to electrical shock.


Can a radio give you an electric shock?

If your radio plugs into the wall outlet for power, then there are points inside it that would shock you if you were to touch them.


What are the ratings and certificates for Putting the Shock Into 'Earthshock' - 2003 V?

Putting the Shock Into 'Earthshock' - 2003 V is rated/received certificates of: UK:PG (DVD rating)


Why is the shock from a household outlet more dangerous to you if your skin is wet?

You conduct electricity better if you are wet.


If you bit an electrical outlet would it shock you?

Ask your mother to stop you biting dangerous things.


Can you plug a 3 prong extension into a 110 volt outlet?

Yes, provided the outlet has a three element receptacle. The third prong is ground. If you use an adapter that connects three prongs to a two slot outlet there is a shock danger.


What type of adapter can be used for a washing machine when you only have a 2 prong outlet?

Do not use an adapter. You need a properly wired outlet for a washing machine. A shock could kill you.


Can you harm a pool by putting too much shock in it?

No it will just wear its self out after a while


What is a good lab safety rhyme?

Want to live without a SHOCK? . . . Never BLOCK an open outlet, it WILL SCHOK!


How should you unplug an electrical cord?

Not by the cord, but by the plug itself that is flush against the outlet. Don't stick anything metal down between the plug and the outlet slots otherwise you will get a very bad shock!


Why do you stand clear or do not touch the child before analyzing the heart rhythm or delivering a shock?

Do not touch the child before analyzing the heart rhythm so the AED will not pick up your heart rhythm. Do not touch the child before delivering a shock so you will not be shocked.


Marco is putting his kitten's fur suddenly he hears a crackling sound and feels a shock his kitten's fur is standing straight up what caused the crackling sound and the shock?

Static electricity.


Can you add shock to a pool right after putting in clarifyer?

Yes you can add shock solution to your swimming pool after or at the same time as a clarifyer. You should not swim in your pool for at 4 hours after shocking it.


How do you changed Jeep Liberty hood shocks?

replace in pairs buy a set there ball sockets on vehicle top and bottom to connect shock over it.. the shock has a clip in back of the hole where a flat small screwdriver will slide in to pull the clip back, just a little, far enough to fully open the hole. slip the shock over the ball and pull the screwdriver out of the clip itll clip/clamp the ball and secure the shock. long black shock body to hood, silver shock rod to frame side. the shocks ends pivot/swivel to attach/angle . hold the hood up with stick, pull clips back to get shocks off and new ones on.


Why would you get shocked when you touch a wall with an outlet in it?

If your getting a shock by touching a wall than you have a bare wire touching the wall, call an electrition


Is putting shock collars on people illegal in Michigan?

yes. it is illegal in all the states. but is legal in international waters


How much blood can a child lose before going into shock?

about 50% or more


Can an adult shock go through child pads on an aed?

No it can't; you must use adult AED pads for an adult & child AED pads for a child.


How is a house outlet different from a barn outlet?

A barn outlet should have water resistant covers. Great care should be taken to insure proper grounding since farm animals are more sensitive to shock than humans and the chance of standing water is greater in a barn which poses a greater risk of electrocution.


What is a GFCI outlet and where is needed?

Ground Fault Circuit Interupter is used where the electric circuit needs to be instantly interrupted...like in the bathroom where an appliance might fall in the water, or an exterior outlet that might get wet in the rain...to prevent electric shock.


Is it impossible to be grounded if you stick something into the hot side of an outlet and it is a newer outlet?

You need to stop dangerous experiments with live electricity.


Why no shock from car battery with bare hands?

Because the battery is only putting out a little over 12 volts DC. It takes allot of voltage DC to actually shock you. Plus you are not grounded very good.


Can you get shocked if you stick your tongue in an electrical outlet and would it fit?

The shock would probably kill you! So don't even think about doing such a stupid thing!