Children and the Law
Child Support

Can an unwed mother get sole custody or physical custody and still receive child support?

User Avatar
Wiki User
March 17, 2017 12:54PM

Yes. In the US the law presumes that an unmarried mother retains sole custody to the child until a court rules otherwise. Child support and custodial issues are two entirely different matters. The granting of sole custody to one parent does not relieve the non custodial parent of their financial obligations even if the couple were/are not married.