Can the custodial parent request an increase in child support with an existing court order in place?

Yes. Either parent is free to file for a modification of an existing child support order at any time, however either would be expected to provide compelling evidence why support should be raised/lowered. Each state defines what constitutes a significant change in circumstances allowing it.