Children and the Law
Baby Names

Can you change your son s last name without his father s permission if you have sole custody and his father only has visitation rights?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2015-07-15 18:32:20
2015-07-15 18:32:20

Each state has its own laws governing name change of minor children. It is doubtful that it can be done without the knowledge or consent of a biological parent.

if the parents disagree over the last name, you can be ordered to hyphenate that last name (in alphabetical order). or you could voluntarily decide to hyphenate it. if you were never married, a hyphenated name is likely to be granted to you. also the hospital in PA where my son was born stated to me that i legally could put in for a name change on him one time, since i was undecided at the time of birth. but i don't know what the time frame on that was.


Related Questions

User Avatar

If they do not have custody of the children, they cannot. If they have custody, they can apply to a court for a name change.

User Avatar

You indicate they have "Contact", but what is the status of Custody? If the Father has visitation, partial or shared custody, legal& or physical....No, you cannot change the Surname of the child without the Fathers explicit consent!!

User Avatar

Take her to court. File for custody or joint custody or visitation rights.

User Avatar

If you live in the US and Mom has custody, then no, you cannot. But Dad can petition the court for a change of custody.

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.