Asked in
Rules of the Road

Can you drive in California or Connecticut with a Texas learners permit?


User Avatar
Wiki User
November 13, 2007 8:15PM

If you are a visitor in California, between 16 and 18 years old, you may drive here with your home state license or instruction permit for only 10 days after you arrive in California. After 10 days you must have either a Nonresident Minor's Certificate or a California license.

Connecticut will recognize out-of-state permits provided the restrictions of Connecticut and the issuing state is met. The permit must be in the possession of the applicant when taking on-road instruction, the person providing the on-road training must be twenty years of age or older, have been licensed in the class of the vehicle being operated for the four year period preceding the instruction, and not had their license suspended during that four years. In addition, operation upon limited access highways is prohibited for the first sixty days from date of issuance of the learner's permit.

This and other information about the requirements of all the states can be found at: