Asked in
Divorce and Marriage Law

Can you get a divorce without your spouse's signature?


User Avatar
Wiki User
March 31, 2011 3:02PM

In the United States a person does not need their spouse's consent to obtain a divorce. You cannot force your spouse to remain married by refusing to sign the divorce documents. Courts have a process by which a non cooperating party can be given notice by a publication and the divorce procedure will proceed. It may take longer and cost more. You need to check the laws in your state since laws vary from state to state.

You should consult with an attorney or inquire at your local family court.You cannot be imprisoned in a unsuccessful marriage by your spouse's refusal to cooperate.