Can you give the court a written response instead of showing up for court hearing?

No. You can visit the court and request a continuance in some cases but you haven't specified the type of case. If you are being represented by an attorney she may be able to appear for you but that's something you need to discuss with the attorney. You cannot send a note instead of appearing.