Can you go to college without a GED?

Most colleges and universities not only require the student to be a high school graduate, but often base acceptance on grade point average, SAT or ACT scores, and other factors. Community colleges' minimum requirement is a GED, and some will accept only high school graduates, but many are accepting non-traditional students, usually older adults, who lack HS diplomas or equivalent.

Each sets its own enrollment policies. Some require a high school diploma or GED certificate, while others may not depending on your academic history. If you are having trouble being accepted, consider taking a few courses at a local community college. They usually have less rigid entrance requirements, and many, many colleges and universities will accept you with good grades (As or Bs) from a few (three to seven) community college classes.

In addition, if you are still of high school age, you may be eligible for an early entrant program. The specific requirements for these programs vary, but typically include strong scores on the SAT or ACT. For example, the early entrant program at Shimer College requires at least a 75th-percentile score.

In many cases, you will find it impossible to go to college without a GED degree. Few colleges will accept you unless as part of an early entrant program. Even community colleges will ask for a high school diploma or equivalent before you are allowed to transfer to a 4 year college. (Just taking classes don't matter)

Where Do I Take The GED Tests?

The information you need is just a phone call away. Call 1-800-62-MYGED (1-800-626-9433) to find your local GED Testing Center. The center can tell you:

  • Whether you can take the GED Tests
  • Where to find the Official GED Practice Tests
  • Where to find a GED instructional program
  • How much it costs to take the tests
  • When the tests are given
  • Other useful information

There are some junior colleges that offer high school diploma programs so you can enroll in a degree program when you finish.