Auto Insurance
Auto Insurance Claims

Can you insure a car in another state if you are not the primary driver?

Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2015-07-15 21:52:14
2015-07-15 21:52:14

Should this be any more complicated than to simply keep paying the premiums on the NJ car to the NJ insurance company? I don't think they would really care where you are as long as they are told where the car is garaged and who is the primary operator.

My daughter is presently going to college in another state and will be using one of her uncle's cars that is owned by his business, but he does not want to insure her or put her on his insurance, i added her to my policy in the state of Hawaii for her permanant residency is here in Hawaii, how do i go about doing this?

The current answer from my insurance company is NO!!

yet my name is on the title, it appears that I will heve to sell the car to my son.

Related Questions

User Avatar

I would think it is based on your primary residence. That is how it works in MA

User Avatar

Here is how you do this. Get the insurance in the name of the owner and list the people or person who drives the car as a driver. Usually the driver can have a driver's license from another state and or live in another state. Some insurance companies will allow someone to insure a vehicle that they have care custody and control of regardless of who owns the vehicle.

User Avatar

As long as they are legally fully licensed in their home state, yes.

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.