Children and the Law
Child Support

Can you make the father sign over his parental rights even though there are no court documents?

User Avatar
Wiki User
June 23, 2005 3:13PM

No, only the court can permanently terminate parental rights.

Courts are very reluctant to take away all parental rights except

in extreme circumstances of neglect and/or abuse. After

establishing paternity, a biological father has the legal right to

seek custody or visitation privileges. He will also be held legally

obligated to pay child support, provide adequate medical care and

such other issues so ordered by the court.

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.