Home Electricity
New Electrical Work
Modification of Old Electrical Work

Can you replace a 3-way light switch with a standard switch and cap off the wires or can you use the 3-way switch and make it into a standard switch?

User Avatar
Wiki User
April 02, 2005 6:01AM

It can be done but it requires knowledge about how a 3way is wired to convert it to a regular switch. It would involve testing live wires to determine where power starts at. You can't just replace one switch.