Auto Insurance
Civil Lawsuits

Can you sue the city for damages done to your car by bumps and potholes in the road?



User Avatar
Wiki User

In some towns or cities yes. We can in Canada. *Filing a lawsuit for any reason should be a last resort rather than the first choice. In US cities a motorist who has incurred damage should file a complaint with the city street department. Please be advised, generally a claim will not be considered valid if the pothole or obstruction that caused the damage was not previously reported to the proper agency.