Child Support

Do you continue to pay child support if your child quits school?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2010-12-29 23:11:41
2010-12-29 23:11:41

The child's school status would not, in itself, justify termination of support.

User Avatar

Related Questions

Child support is paid until the child is at least 18 even if the child quit school or graduate early.

How do you prove the child is no longer enrolled in school

The child's school status would not, in itself, justify termination of support.

Yes, if the child is still an unemancipated minor.

It depends on the state. In most states, child support is required to continue until the child turns 18, regardless of whether or not they drop out of high school. However, some states allow child support to end early if the child drops out or is not making satisfactory progress towards graduation.

yes you do you need to pay child support till the child has turned 21 :D

Yes, a child dropping out of school has no bearing on child support. Depending on what your divorce decree says regarding child support, it normally terminates when the child turns 18.Ê

I'm not familiar with Missouri law, but I'm certain that the child support obligation would continue in such a case.

Doesnt stop until the child is no longer a minor or the court says it stops.

Most child support documents require you to pay until 18, or finish school. Check with your child support office or your attorney.

This change would not, in itself, relieve the obligor of her/his support obligations.

Yes ... the court papers usually only specify the age, not whether they are in school or not. If one is behind in their support payments, they will continue to pay until completely caught up, even if the child has attained age 18 or beyond.

As long as the child is a minor, yes. They still need a roof over their head and food etc.

The non custodial parent who is paying child support is legally bound to the terms of the support order until the terms are changed or the support is ended by the court. You could consult an attorney about getting the amount reduced making a request can be made to be relieved of the financial responsibility.

Child support always continues until at least the age of majority. If the child is 18 and is not making satisfactory progress towards graduation, child support ends.

I believe it's law everywhere that you have to pay until they are 18 regardless if the child is in school or not. The court order for child support stipulates the manner and length of time in which support is mandated. Issues concerning the legitimacy of payment should always be discussed with legal counsel, preferably the attorney who handled the original case. The parent under the order should NEVER arbitrarily cease or change the payment arrangement. In the State of Michigan, if the child is no longer in school, i.e. quits before they turn 18, you are no longer obligated to pay child support.

Check with a lawyer; if the child is over 18 and is no longer attending, then certainly you have a case.

Generally, the obligation ends when the child reaches 18 years of age or the child graduates from high school, whichever occurs later. A child will also automatically be ineligible for child support if that child is removed from disability status by a court order. see link

A parent quits paying child support when the child reaches the age of 18

Yes, until she reaches 18; she is still considered a minor even though she is pregnant and not attending school.

You can call your local Department of Human Services office and they will take it out of his paycheck every month unless he quits working.

No. The only time child support will change is if the one paying it has a change in their wages.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.