Do you have to be allergic to poison ivy to get it?
Keeping the key word 'poison' in mind, no you do not have to be allergic to poison ivy, it affects anybody who comes into contact with it, resulting in a rash.
Poison ivy contains an organic toxin called urushiol which elicits an allergic reaction. As noted in the related question: Urushiol is an organic oil toxin found in plants of the Family Anacardiaceae (e.g. poison oak, poison ivy, and poison sumac). It causes the allergic skin rash on contact, known as urushiol-induced contact dermatitis.
No. You should never eat poison ivy. The only thing it will do is give you a possibly lethal case of internal poison ivy. Trust me on this, I know a lot about poison ivy, considering I have to constantly watch out for it since I'm severely allergic. According to http://wwmag.net/pivy.htm you can slowly ingest poison ivy (encapsulated if you wish) and slowly gain a tolerance.
The degree of worseness may be the same to the allergic individual in winter as much as in summer. The urushiol oil in poison ivy [Toxicodendron radicans] has its effects on the allergic individual regardless of the month or the season. The oil is available year round. In fact, where poison ivy is, it may leave traces of oil on fences that in turn cause allergic reactions as much as 1-1/2 years later.
If you have a severe allergy to poison ivy, you will most likely also be allergic to cashews. Cashews are from the poison ivy family, and can contain similar allergens. The reason you never see cashews with a shell on them is because the shell has the same irritating oils that poison ivy leaves have on them. Most people that have minor skin breakouts from poison ivy (not a severe allergy) should not have an…
If they are allergic to it, then yes. They may break out into welts and have other issues. However, poison ivy (as well as poison oak) generally has no ill effects on horses. It is edible to them and the oils do not irritate their skin. The main issue with poison ivy and horses/ponies is the oil getting into their coat and it transferring to the human handlers.
No, Poison ivy [Toxicodendron radicans] and Poison oak [Toxicodendron diversilobum and Toxicodendron pubescens] are not the same. But they are related. One way that they show their close relationship is by providing same form of urushiol resin. The resin, is not an oil is what brings about an allergic reaction in allergic humans. It doesn't affect wildlife, but may or may not affect domesticated pets like dogs or cats.
Summer tends to be the season that people identify as the 'worst' for poison ivy [Toxicodendron radicans] allergic reactions. But that's just because there are greater chances for human contact with the plant. In fact, urushiol oil, which is the cause of the reactions, is present in all plant body parts year round. Indeed, a fence against which poison ivy brushed may bring on an allergic reaction as much as 1-1/2 years later.
The rash associated with poison ivy in humans is actually due to an allergic reaction, and not all humans are allergic to it. For the most part, dogs do not develop allergic reactions to poison ivy. However, if your dog does have a reaction to poison ivy, your best option is to give him/her a bath in warm soapy water with dog-safe shampoo to get the oil from the plant off him/her. For long-haired dogs…
Well, poison ivy itself isn't poisonous - it's the urushiol oil is the problem. One nanogram (that is, one billionth of a gram) is enough to affect an individual. Only roughly 15% of the world's population is NOT allergic to urushiol oil. So, be careful! Don't touch poison ivy, for it is better to be safe than sorry.
I was prescribed triamcinolone acetonide for my poison ivy, so I'm guessing the consensus in the medical field is that it does work. I am very allergic to poison ivy, and after 6 days, the rash has diminished but not disappeared. The intensity of the redness has lessened 4-5 shades, and it does not itch near as often, nor as badly. In my opinion, and apparently in my doctors opinion, it does work. It is…
Urushiol oil is the irritant in poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans). Specifically, the resin is a known irritant to most humans. Wildlife can come into contact with the irritant without showing any allergic reactions. Domesticated pets cat/dog once exposed may or may not exhibit symptoms of poison ivy/oak allergy. Once a human comes into direct contact by touching a previously urushiol exposed item afterwards, may themselves exhibit allergic reactions.