Do you need a passport to enter Canada from the US?

As of July 2008 - Not for a US citizen, just a birth certificate and a government issued photo ID, such as a driver's license. Other nationalities are required to have a passport. no. you'll need a government issued photo id. you will need your birth certificate also to get back into the us. however, a passport would make things easier.