Do you need your social security card or birth certificate when flying in the us?

Neither of those documents is photographic identification. To board a commercial flight in the USA all adults must present acceptable photographic identification for check-in and for pre-boarding security screening. A valid driver's license or passport are the most commonly used photo ids. Check with your airline or the homeland security web site for all the details.