Auto Insurance Claims
Bank of America

Does a repair shop have the authority to repossess a vehicle if the owner stops payment on a check for repairs that were performed?



User Avatar
Wiki User


You'll need to get a judgment first. File a small claims action, take the bill to court with you, see what the judge allows.

More Opinions

In the majority of US states, small claims judgments are monetary only judgments (wage/income garnishment, bank account levy). That being the case, a suit to seize a vehicle by use of a judgment lien or place a lien against real property belonging to the debtor would have to be filed in the state circuit or superior court in the county where the debtor resides.

Likewise, in the majority of US states, it is a criminal offense for a consumer to stop payment on a check that has been rendered for work done or goods received.