Effects of floods?
- Physical damage- Can range anywhere from bridges, cars, buildings, sewer systems, roadways, canals and any other type of structure.
- Casualties- People and livestock die due to drowning. It can also lead to epidemics and diseases.
- Water supplies- Contamination of water. Clean drinking water becomes scarce.
- Diseases- Unhygienic conditions. Spread of water borne diseases
- Crops and food supplies- Shortage of food crops can be caused due to loss of entire harvest.
- Trees - Non-tolerant species can die from suffocation
- Economic- Economic hardship, due to: temporary decline in tourism, rebuilding costs, food shortage leading to price increase etc, especially to the poor.
To protect people from the effects of floods, ensure that people do not build homes, factories, cities or towns in flood plains. Since that is not usually practical, the best way to protect both people and the land form floods is to control the waterways so that they do not flood. The US was deeply in vested in such controls during the 20th century, and it was found that flood controls sometimes have unintended negative…