Facts on John Hancock?
- He was a smuggler
- He wrote his signature the largest so that the king could see it without his glasses
- He was educated at Harvard in London for business
- He was born 1737 and died in 1793
- He was married to Dorothy Hancock and had two kids Lydia Henchman Hancock and John George Washington Hancock.
- His parents died when he was seven and was adopted by his rich uncle.
"John Hancock" is presumably the problematic term in that phrase, the rest of it is pretty straightforward. "John Hancock" is slang for "signature", coming from the very prominent signature of John Hancock on the US Declaration of Independence. The John Hancock Life Insurance company had a commercial jingle featuring the line "put your John Hancock on the John Hancock".