Taxes and Tax Preparation
Income Taxes
Tax Refunds

For tax purposes can a portion of your 401K distributions be carried into the next tax year?



User Avatar
Wiki User

As the name implies, the required minimum distribution (RMD) is required to be reported and made in the subject year. If you were referring to a lump some distribution you took (not a regular distribution, but an early withdrawal) the answer is no. Individuals are considered to be on a "cash basis". Therefore, it is all reportable in the year you received the money only.