Asked in
Child Safety
Emancipation and Ages for Moving Out

How can a 17-year-old leave home if they are being beaten and sexually abused by their parents and they can't emancipate themselves and they are being made to live in the abusive home by a judge?


User Avatar
Wiki User
November 02, 2005 8:17PM

If a judge remanded the minor to the parental home there would have needed to be an investigation by state CPS or DFS. Therefore it is difficult to comprehend why a judge would allow a minor to remain in an abusive environment. Several states have emancipation status in which a minor who is at least sixteen can petition the court for emancipation rights. Even those states that do not have established grounds and procedures for the act, must allow the minor to file such a petition as is his/her constitutional right. If the situation is indeed as described the individual shoul contact the local police or if in imminent danger, 911 for immediate assistance. Be advised if a court order is in place and responding officers do not perceive any endangerment to minor's well-being, they WILL NOT be able to take any action. You can also contact any of the following toll free numbers for assistance, National Child Abuse Hotline 1-800-392-3738, Youth Crisis Hotline 1-800-448-4463, Youth Emergency Services Hotline 1-800-899-5437. You might also wish to vist the website Teenline Online, a organization staffed by teens to assist other teens,