Children and the Law
Birth Certificates

How can the father of a child be ordered to pay child support if his name is not on the birth certificate and his last name is unknown?

User Avatar
Wiki User
2006-07-25 17:41:26

If the couple are unmarried paternity must be established before

a child support petition can be filed. If the father refuses to

take a paternity test the court can order him to do so. The matter

of not knowing his last name is indeed troubling and may be reason

enough for the court to deny any motion for testing or support.

Contact the department of family and children's services or the

state health and human services in the state of residency for


Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.